Fuel economy/ Cooler info. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel economy/ Cooler info.

Hello,
Looking for anyone who has information on how to increase my fuel economy on my 04 f350, the only thing that i did was add the bully dog tuner. received alot more HP but i am not quite sure that it increased the fuel economy. Replaced the fuel filters not that long ago and air filter. both sets of filter i got at the local auto parts. Is there anything i can do with out spending a ton of money right now to increase my fuel economy, using the cetane booster from Ford. I am going to Clean the EGR valve this weekend, Live in NY so a delete is not in the future. thanks to this forum it gave me the help on how to do it.
Also, I have heard alot about installing an updated oil and EGR cooler any advice would be appreciated. this seems relatively involved to do and expensive but if its worth it I will work on getting it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The biggest increase in economy will come from you changing your driving habits.

For what you will spend on exhaust and tunes you will have to put a lot of miles on your truck to even break even.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:25 PM

Run a 10-w30 diesel motor oil, proper air pressure in tires, Run a straight pipe exhaust and take off slow from a stop.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:02 PM

there are some other discussions on modifying the egr system and other ways to get better mpg, like unplugging the egr valve. the search bar will help you get more info. And since some of them are fairly recent, you can also just go through the pages and find them.

Once you get enough posts, start a signature so we know what you drive, what is on it. RZR007 has some good ideas

Last edited by smokersteve; 09-28-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:50 PM

Depending on your flash unplugging the EGR valve can have have consequences
Old 09-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Depending on your flash unplugging the EGR valve can have have consequences
X-2
Old 09-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question Fuel Economy

I would love to try the egr disconnect but unfortunately i live in a state that has emissions requirements and the truck is going in for emissions inspection on thursday. I would have to assume that disconnecting the egr even if the mechanic does not see it, it will not past the emissions test? If i wait until after the test and disconnect is there any way for me to know before hand if i am going to mess anything up in the computer or even it does is it a big deal.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
X-2

O yea, I forgot about that
Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furch5263 View Post
I would love to try the egr disconnect but unfortunately i live in a state that has emissions requirements and the truck is going in for emissions inspection on thursday. I would have to assume that disconnecting the egr even if the mechanic does not see it, it will not past the emissions test? If i wait until after the test and disconnect is there any way for me to know before hand if i am going to mess anything up in the computer or even it does is it a big deal.
If you unplug the egr valve before they smog the truck, they will see a DTC and not let you pass. Since it is checked every 2 years you can leave it unplugged for 2 years after you get it smoged.

Do you have a device that you can clear the code with?

You can also weld a washer on tube that feed the egr cooler to resist most of the exhaust gases from entering the system like I did. If it is 100% blocked of exhaust gas there will be a flow code. I am still under warranty so I did not block it all the way.

some trucks will have issues with these codes. some do not.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

First of all, what is this "Fuel Economy" you speak of? Something for little under powered vehicles? Ugh! Mo power, go fast!

j/k

Bullydog(tuners in general)= more power. They add more fuel at more appropriate times to build more power.

Tuners=better economy? Well none I've ever had. But maybe just me.

The number one increase will come from your right foot's performance. I can't drive like a sane person, but I have heard of it being done. I have even witnessed some people driving slower than 80 on the interstate!

As for the EGR, you can plug and unplug it at will, so if there is a need to have it plugged in, say for a test, then simply plug it in. Unplug it when you're finished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.