Got a lot of questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got a lot of questions

I had an 04 SC/SB 6.0 with IDP x-street tune, some kind of aftermarket intake, a 4in turbo back to 6in stacks, a suncoast extreme duty rebuild kit and a ATS 5 star convertor. Stock everything else as far as i know. I took the truck to the track a few times and the slowest it ever ran was a 13.6. I thought most trucks with the similar things run mid to low 14's? Any way the truck has totaled earlier this month when a mini van pulled out in front of me. I found a 03 SC/LB 6.0 with ~75,000 that has 2 melted pistons in it for $10k. Is that to much money? If it is what would be an good offer for that truck? My plan is to buy the 04 back from the insurance company and the 03 from the other guy, pull both motors and put the 04 motor back in the 03. While the motor is out I plan to stud and delete it put a set of injectors in it and a turbo to go with it. My goal is to be around 550hp to the wheels on fuel and 650-700hp on spray and still keep it a DD. I've been thinking a set of 190's, a Powermax and and airdogII would get me to these levels?

and for the lazy readers:
What would cause an truck with just a tune intake exhaust and built trans to run a mid 13 second time in the quarter?

Is $10k to much to pay for a 03 SC/LB 6.0 with 75,000 miles and a blown motor? If so what is a good offer for it?

would it be hard is it to swap motors in these trucks? I've done things like injectors, egr cooler, turbos before.

Will a set of 190's, a powermax, and an AirDogII get me to 550hp on fuel and 650-700 on spray?

Could it still be a DD and tow between 8000-10000#'s 3-4 times a year?

Will the rest of the motor hold that much power?

And finally would it be worth it to do it at all or should i just find a good truck then do the studs/delete and injectors and turbo?

Thanks in advance everyone

-Dave

Edit: Forgot to say the 04' was an early year build and had an 03' engine tag on the valve cover

Last edited by xXWarfare198Xx; 09-27-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Honestly I wouldnt even mess with that...10k for an 03 with a blown motor is way too much...shoot for a few thousand more you can find a good ol running 7.3 complete truck.

I got my truck in the sig for 20k...obviously more than the 10k but it is newer with all the new suspension(coilovers), already modded a bit, and had most of the bugs worked out.

If I was in your boat I would just put that 10k on a 02-03 7.3l. If you are wanting another 6.0 then I would put 5k of that as a down payment and use the other 5k for the studs,egr delete,and tuner. The new turbo and injectors are gonna be a little pricey.

However I would also find out what they want for your truck. It would be nice to get that built up tranny out of there and put it in the new truck. You could always part out the engine, interior and everything else that isnt damaged. Then take the rest down to the scrap metal yard and they will usually pay you for the weight of the scrap metal.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What would cause an truck with just a tune intake exhaust and built trans to run a mid 13 second time in the quarter?I think the early build 6.0 was a bit faster than the late build motors....not sure about a second faster though.

Is $10k to much to pay for a 03 SC/LB 6.0 with 75,000 miles and a blown motor? If so what is a good offer for it?Just for comparison a friend just bought a running 03 dodge diesel for $8000 and all its missing is 3rd gear.

would it be hard is it to swap motors in these trucks? I've done things like injectors, egr cooler, turbos before.More of a pain in the a$$ I think

Will a set of 190's, a powermax, and an AirDogII get me to 550hp on fuel and 650-700 on spray?With good tuning it should

Could it still be a DD and tow between 8000-10000#'s 3-4 times a year?You might be better off with 155s or 175s if you tow heavy

Will the rest of the motor hold that much power?It depends how hard you drive it.....much higher has been done.

And finally would it be worth it to do it at all or should i just find a good truck then do the studs/delete and injectors and turbo?If you own a shop I think it would be worth it.....and it gives you a chance to learn about your truck also

Thanks in advance everyone

-Dave

Edit: Forgot to say the 04' was an early year build and had an 03' engine tag on the valve cover[/QUOTE]

Replies in red.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:26 PM

Would I stil be able to reach my goal of 650-700hp with spray with 155 or 175's?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:54 PM

with an 03 you would have to do too much to it to make it reliable like the later models

That one is not worth 10k
Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 PM

Care to explain why? What's different with the 03'
Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXWarfare198Xx View Post
Would I stil be able to reach my goal of 650-700hp with spray with 155 or 175's?
I am not sure on that one...
Old 09-29-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXWarfare198Xx View Post
Care to explain why? What's different with the 03'
Nothing at all if you do an egr delete/upgrade and studs when you build it....and those are the up grades everybody is recomending for the 05+ also.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwil View Post
Nothing at all if you do an egr delete/upgrade and studs when you build it....and those are the up grades everybody is recomending for the 05+ also.
That's what I thought.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:52 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the 190's. Now I just gotta descide who's I'm gonna go with. Stuck between elite and casserly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.