6.0 Airdog vs. Fass - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy209 View Post
The Df-165 deletes both of the fuel filters?

I have read alot of people going with the airdog(not sure which model) but it acts as primary and your OEM fuel pump is still in the loop in case the airdog goes out.
There is the Airdog systems and the Airdog II systems. The Airdog 100 and 150 flow the number given in GPH. They are an auxiliary system where the Airdog supplies the fuel to the OEM system. With little effort, some hose and some valves, you can build a bypass for the Airdog when you install it. Then if the Airdog fails all you have to do is twist a few valves and route the fuel line around the Airdog. This will help the factory pump deliver a more consistent fuel supply and save it from having to draw the fuel from the tank itself. You have now added additional filters to your system. Maybe you could delete the oem filters but I'm not sure about the one with the pump. If you did it would not be safe to bypass the Airdog in case of the Airdog failing. In my mind you have made your fuel system more complex unnecessarily.

The Airdog II is a stand alone fuel system that replaces the oem system. You remove the lines from your existing pump and connect them to the lines from the Airdog II. These systems have their own regulators and fuel returns that tie into the oem return line. When this is installed you can remove the oem pump/filter assy from the frame rail and put it in the garage or sell it. To eliminate the small filter in the engine mounted fuel bowl you simply take the filter out and remove the stand pipe from the fuel bowl. Now you only have the filter on the Airdog II as a maintenance item. The DF-165 flows 165 gph and will handle whatever you are throwing at a moderately powered vehicle. If you're looking for huge power for a race truck or puller you may want to step up to the higher flowing model.

I love my Airdog II but I think PureFlow's mounting solution sucks. It sandwiches the frame rail between 2 plates with the Airdog assy attached to one of the plates. The result is it transfers all the noise from the pump into the frame rail. You will want to add some kind of NVH solution to the mount.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 09-28-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 06:44 AM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I welded mine to the frame because i didn't like the way it mounted.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

What are you doing for noise isolation?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:12 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nothing, I haven't driven the truck yet so im not sure how loud its going to be. I hope it'll be alright. lol
Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
so what kind of price am i lookin at for the DF-165? it sounds like what i want also to isolate the pump i would add a slab of rubber behind it and put clear tube or fuel hose over the bolts that touch the rails to quiet it down.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 PM

so is the air dog any good for a stock truck with just exhaust intake and the sct?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok so i talked to a guy and he said i don't need the df-165 if i am not doing any serious mods, so i want the 150\150 anyone got prices or info on it? thanks for all the help
Old 10-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ok i got into a discussion with a buddy over this after he bought the FASS system. He was telling me that the AirDog only returned the fuel to itself and not back to the tank. I didnt see the problem with this however he said the FASS returns to the tank and at the GPH rate would filter a full tank of fuel in around 2 hrs (or something like that i dont recall exactly) That was his biggest reason for going FASS. He was saying it was better to have "clean fuel" all the time and the tank would not get a ton of junk in it.
I dont have either on my truck at this point
Old 10-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My airdogII ties into the return to the tank
Old 10-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninmike View Post
Ok i got into a discussion with a buddy over this after he bought the FASS system. He was telling me that the AirDog only returned the fuel to itself and not back to the tank. I didnt see the problem with this however he said the FASS returns to the tank and at the GPH rate would filter a full tank of fuel in around 2 hrs (or something like that i dont recall exactly) That was his biggest reason for going FASS. He was saying it was better to have "clean fuel" all the time and the tank would not get a ton of junk in it.
I dont have either on my truck at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06powerstroke06 View Post
My airdogII ties into the return to the tank
Mine does too. Sounds to me like your friend doesn't really know what he is talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.