SCT X3 programmer, won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT X3 programmer, won't start

I just posted this topic in the 911 emergency section but I'll repeat it here. I bought an SCT programmer used that was for an '04 6.0 and I have an '06 F350 with the 6.0. The SCT had two tunes already downloaded for the '04 and I thought I try them like an idiot and now I have no ignition. Any help or a tune for an '06 that would get me running would be great. Willing to pay for anything that works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is your strategy?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not sure what you mean by strategy. I'm just trying to make my truck start again. I got some help from innovative and should have it going Monday when SCT opens. My strategy is to get back the 3 mpg that I lost when Ford re-flashed the computer and replaced 3 injectors. I get an average 9.8 mpg now! It was just an ignorant mistake that I should not have made. I didn't realize the SCT tuners were VIN locked and now I need a dumpfile to fix what I did according to Innovative. From there I'll get the three tune package and keep on driving I hope, except on less fuel.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Return it to stock, and see if she'll start. Mine had the same problem.

Strategy is the 7 digit number of the stock tune in your truck's PCM. Ex: VXAP1N6

Are you sure the tuner is vin-locked?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure. I don't even know where to find the strategy number. The tuner was installed an '04 before I got it. I tried returning to stock with no success.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Plug you SCT in and scroll down to "Vehicle Info", and it will show you the strategy. But if you screwed up your stock strategy, you'll have to call SCT. But if I'm not mistaken, the X3's have a backup storage.

Also, any chance the cable came loose during downloading of the tune? Either from the computer or the truck?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The cable didn't come loose that I know of. I plugged it in and it says "no strategy" when I go to the menu you described.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 PM

I'm new to tuners, so my experience is very limited. I purchased a SCT tuner from Innovative. The tuner reads the 'strategy' off the truck. You send this back to whom you are buying custom tunes. You plug the SCT tuner into the truck. Turn the key to ON. The SCT tuner should start up. Go through the menu for vehicle information. Strategy will come up. Write the number down. IIRC is a VX starting number. Provide this to the person setting up custom tunes. You should get a file back from them to you. Usually its done through email. Save the file to your harddrive. Plug the SCT tuner into the computer through the USB. The SCT tuner will come on. You may have to go to SCT's website to get the program which transfers the tuner file from the computer to the tuner. You follow the instructions to download it.

My laptop would not work. Got on the phone and SCT tried to help but couldn't make it work either. They have a way of getting onto an internet portal and see your computer. (My work does the same thing for tech support.) Anyways, went to my tower, and it worked there. I keep my tuner files on both computers and in an internet mail I sent myself. 3 different places, so if something goes down, burned, stolen, blown away by a tonado/hurricane, I will have access with a simple internet connnection.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

SCT got me fixed up. They remotely tapped into my laptop and updated my X3 and also restored my trucks factory settings. They offer great customer service and the entire process took no time at all. Can't say enough about how easy the process was. Innovative hooked me up with 3 tunes also and I must say I feel as though I bought a new truck. The difference is unbelievable. I can't wait to see what mileage numbers I get. Thanks for all replies and to all that helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.