Turbo Run-On after shutdown? Anybody had this? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Run-On after shutdown? Anybody had this?

Hey guys, yep, I'm a newbie here. I'm also a newbie to diesels and turbos. I know absolutely nothing about either! I bought my 05 F-250 6.0 about 4 months ago and everything has been great...till yesterday.
Well, last night when I got home and shut the engine off I hear something sounding like a fan still running but slowing down. Lasted for a few seconds before coming to a stop. I started the engine and shut it off again...same thing. I popped the hood to try to determine what it was and did it again. Definitely coming from the top side of engine back around the turbo area. It just sounds like a fan running and it takes it a few seconds before it winds down. I test drove it and everything seemed to be working normal, turbo included. Nothing running hot or anything out of the ordinary. I pulled up to my garage and let it idle while I was listening. All of a sudden the engine started running a little rough, sounded like it was missing. I pushed the accelerator to see if it would clear up and it was like nothing there. Would not accelerate at all even if I puched the pedal to the floor. Seems like it went into some kind of safe mode from what I've read. It went dead after a few more seconds. About 10 minutes later it started back up and seemed to be running okay again but the fan noise was still there when I shut the engine off. I disconnected a small 2-wire plug up by the turbo (not sure what it is) and tried it again. The fan noise stopped. I'm guessing I disconnected the turbo.
So, I drove it into work this morning after speaking with a Ford tech and being assured it would be okay. Took it to the Ford dealership (very scary since this is on my dime) and asked them to check it. I talked to the tech so I could show him exactly what it was doing. Shut it off three times and no noise. He got in and revved it up a couple times, shut it off and it did it. He said, "Yep, sounds like a turbo to me"! Oh crap! I'm afraid I'm in for it.
So...has anyone had a problem similar to this before? I certainly want to know anything I can before I give these guys a green light to fix my truck.
Thanks,
Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think the tech was saying that its the turbo making that noise.....sarcastically. That noise is normal on shutdown. Its VERY noticable if you have a straight pipe and an 03 turbo. Sounds kind of like a jet shutting down, right?

Unfortunatley, I don't have an answer on the lack of rpm's / acceleration issue you experienced.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just got a call from the Ford service writer. Said the center section of the turbo needs replacing. Has bent fins?
How would this cause the problem at hand even if they are bent?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to lowrthnu92 Send a message via Yahoo to lowrthnu92
something likes this...right at the 50 sec. mark when he shuts it off

Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not disagreeing with you but nothing has been changed on the truck and last night was the 1st time in 4 months that it has made the noise. And yes, I guess you could say it's similar to a jet shutting down but no high pitch noise, more like a fan motor. The truck I believe is stock from Ford...no mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I think the tech was saying that its the turbo making that noise.....sarcastically. That noise is normal on shutdown. Its VERY noticable if you have a straight pipe and an 03 turbo. Sounds kind of like a jet shutting down, right?

Unfortunatley, I don't have an answer on the lack of rpm's / acceleration issue you experienced.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrthnu92 View Post
something likes this...right at the 50 sec. mark when he shuts it off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25uEFXUaPO0
Yes, similar noise and run-on is about the same but mine doesn't have the high pitch whine you hear there. However, I DO have a slightly high pitch when the turbo is kicking in while driving. I know that is pretty normal.
I don't know...am I worrying about nothing?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think they all do this to an extent... if you have a aftermarket air cleaner it will exaggerate the sound you are hearing. The turbo cant just stop when you are cutting the truck off and depending on the tune you have it sometimes may be in the open position when you cut it off, and sometimes be closed during shutdown... and that is why it only happens sometimes. What stratigy are you running?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Cynic

Just drive it if that is the only noise it is making.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.