Lowering EGTs? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lowering EGTs?

Is there an effective way to lower EGTs? I know the OBVIOUS answer for me would be to run a "cooler" tune other than IDP XStreet and XRace, but is there any mods to help lower besides that?

I love the tunes, but consistently see 1400 and often get to 1600. I don't hold it for any length of time, but anytime I get on it passing or just want the acceleration, the temps jump RIGHT NOW. I don't really get to enjoy the tune's benefits.

I do have a 4" TB straight pipe, but no other mods that would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

A zoodad would probably be minimal. An intercooler would help more. I assume you dont have a boost leak somewhere. Those are kinda hot numbers for passing a car.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did the zoodad and still have the stock filter. Don't get me wrong, I can stay out of the throttle when passing, but even at 3/4 throttle the EGTs rise quickly. I get 28-32 psi boost no problem, so assume I have no leak.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Water injection, without the meth. EGR delete (if you can)
Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have been running Snow's Stage II for 4 years now. I have used it with straight distilled water, window washer fluid (70% water/30%meth), and mixing my own 50/50. I'm running the 2 large nozzles--625ml/min.

When I'm using distilled water, the EGT's may drop 150-200* while towing or unloaded. As far as seat of the pants power, no gain.

With the window washer fluid, and also mixing my own at 70/30, EGT's usually drop 100-150*. You can feel a slight increase in the pants, also I have mine to come on at 15 psi of boost, and full spray at 25 psi. While I'm driving down the road above 15 psi, I can flip on the power switch and feel/hear a difference in power.

Now with the hand mixed 50/50, I have never towed with it. Only use this mix in the late fall when camping season is at it's end. By the seat of the pants feel, there is a real noticeable increase. The EGT's drop around 100*. I have never tried there Boost Juice mix.

While using any of the three mix's, the EGT's do climb slower than with out using the Snow perf. This will let you run harder/longer. If you plan on using it alot, upgrade to at least the 7qt reservoir. I can go thru my 7 qt at just under 100 miles, and that is only turning on the system when hitting a hills.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 AM

Unplug your egr valve so that it is 100% closed. And either buy a kit or just block the uppipe yourself for cheep. That will really help spool up and lower egt's now that there is no restriction in the exhaust flow.

Keep the mantinence on the air filter up
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I do plan on the EGR delete. Still have about 25k left on the power train warranty.

I was wondering about the water injection. Seems a little pricey for the benefit. Didn't know it helped that much with EGTs though.

I'm tempted to change out my intake with a S&B. If nothing else just for the ease of cleaning/changing. My neighbor had his factory filter clog twice, which is contrary to what everyone says on here.

Is there any real detrimental effects with the water/meth system??
Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh68 View Post
I do plan on the EGR delete. Still have about 25k left on the power train warranty.

I was wondering about the water injection. Seems a little pricey for the benefit. Didn't know it helped that much with EGTs though.

I'm tempted to change out my intake with a S&B. If nothing else just for the ease of cleaning/changing. My neighbor had his factory filter clog twice, which is contrary to what everyone says on here.

Is there any real detrimental effects with the water/meth system??

If you do get an intake I would go with S&B also
Old 09-22-2010, 12:09 PM

You could also try and look for a cheap earlier build turbo. They are less restrictive on the exhaust side. The 07 turbo is the most restrictive
Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Sorry to ask a dumb question, but have you checked your air filter? May need a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.