Fitch Fuel Cat. works. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fitch Fuel Cat. works.

So I did a forum search and saw where everyone said its "snake oil" but no one had actually tried it. A friend of mine had one on his cummins and claimed he was getting about 1.5 mpg better, but took it off because he was worried that it might cause lift and injector pump problems since there was no return line. So he gave it to me. My first thought was that it would just be BS, but it was free so why not? I was planning a trip to where he was at anyways, which was 310 miles away, but figured id do due diligence to see if it in fact did improve anything. And it actually did. Keep in mind I am very fuel conscious and always drive to achieve as much economy as possible. To limit variables as much as possible, I used cruise control, didnt stop along the way either trip, and set cruise to 65 the entire way. Filled up before leaving both times and filled up on arrivals (same gas stations so same distance, i suspect distance differences have to do with which lane I was in on turns). Here are the numbers.

1st trip (no fitch)- 310.5 mile on 18.05 gal. = 17.2 mpg
2nd trip (Fitch installed- 310.7 on 14.91 gal. = 20.8 mpg

Needless to say I was very surprised with the outcome. I was as much a skeptic as anyone, and originally would never have spent money on it because it sounds like something that couldnt possibly work, but it did, and surprisingly well. No one really knows what it does but I suspect the metal alloys in the canister split water molecules (a pretty simple reaction) in diesel fuel (water separators cant get it all and the longer diesel sits since its original refinement the more water it will contain). When water is split is becomes hydrogen which can be used as fuel, and oxygen which is beneficial to combustion. While the amounts produced is likely negligible the fact that the water is completely gone will allow for more efficient combustion which means better fuel economy. If this is the case I can see how it could work. The numbers dont lie and that is the first time ive ever achieved fuel economy in the 20's since I put 35" mud terrains on (I check every time I fill up) So there you have it, im sure people will chime in with negative comments but ill say it again, I didnt think it would work and the only reason I tried it was because it was free, and it actually worked quite well so dont knock it till you try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I want to know more about this. Lol. First of all where can you buy them and how much do they cost? What is involved on installation? Sounds like an awesome deal! BTW I noticed you are running Cooper STT's. Thumbs up. I work for Cooper Tire and Rubber Co. in Texarkana, AR. I had the STT's on my Jeep. I loved them. I sold the Jeep and bought my Super Duty. It has 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers. They were brand new when I bought the truck 4 weeks ago. I would really like to put some STT's on it but I would like to sell the Nitto's first. Lol.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

WOW that is a good jump in MPG's
Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 AM

Color me skeptical still. I've seen quite a few reputable shows test this thing out with no improvement in mpg. Hell, a decent tailwind could net you 2-3 mpg on a 300 mi trip.

Out of curiosity, did you fill up on diesel all the way to the top of the filler neck (to the cap) when you did this test?

Where was the trip (starting point, ending point)?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah, running into a headwind one way and a tailwind the other could make a world of difference in fuel mileage. Keep posting after several more tanks and see if you maintain an increase. I too am skeptical but will try to keep an open mind. Everything that is supposed to gain you mileage has lost me mileage on my truck lol.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:14 AM

I have allwase wanted to get one!!! But I did not think it was worth the $300
Old 09-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I filled to the click both times, however the "lie-o-meter" was showing 17.5 on the first trip and 21.1 on the second so it shouldnt be off too much. But let me use it for a while before going and buying one off what ive said. Ill keep you posted to the results. But today the lie-meter showed 22mpg to work and back which is a 60 mile commute each day. my tank is currently sitting at just under a half a tank and ive gone over 400 miles on it so far, which normally im stretched to get 410-420. It seems to be working quite well and ive noticed my rpms are staying lower at higher speeds, around 1650-1700 at 65mph and dont fluctuate much on hills. Ive seen the test reports and most the diesel tests were done on the 5.9 cummins, said they saw a 1-1.5 mpg increase, but weren't sure if that margin was enough to draw a conclusion. Those numbers are what my friend with the cummins noticed as well though. I suspect it is more effective on the 6.0 because the fuel system has a return line, so instead of fuel passing through the canister once on a cummins and going into the motor it could circulate through several times. None of these test ive found were done on the 6.0. But dont go buy one yet, like i said mine was free so i had nothing to lose. Let me use it for a while and i'll continue to post my findings accurately and let you guys decide if it is worth the money. as far as install goes it only takes as long as it takes you to take off the air intake and put it back on. It just clips into the quick connects on the right side of the motor, its a piece of cake...anyone could do it.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ive made the trip several times to this place and never gotten the good of fuel economy ever, but i wondered if altitude changes might have been a factor but where I live is 1100 feet above sea level and where I went is 245 ft above sea level, so in a way I was going downhill the first trip...
Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 PM

Where did you get it?

The cheapest I have seen it is for $328.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:37 PM

There are allot of great testimonials on there website about the increase of fuel milage and the reduction of the carbon output, but you cant believe everything you read. I for one, am glad to here from someone who uses it on the forum.
I am subscribed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.