little more hiss from work done ????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
little more hiss from work done ?????

finally got my egr delete and 4" turbo back straight pipe exhaust installed and have the xrace from innovative installed. i am hearing a more of a hiss inside from what seems like the engine side. would this be natural from the changes or should i not hear it. it is not overwhelming and dont hear it at idle. i am thinking the new up pipe may be the culprit or the connections to the turbo. the clamps on the turbo both seem to be on correct and tightened up properly but if it is not normal to hear a little more hiss then i am leaning toward the new up pipe with the metal gasket.

on a side not the tune and exhaust are awesome. i also flushed the coolant and filled with chevron elc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Lt. Negativity

Stop right there, you are not suppose to put any other coolant in a 6.0. You need to only use the Gold coolant from Ford for a 6.0.

Hissing noise like you said is probably the up-pipes.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From what i have read on the site if you flush all ford gold coolant out the elc coolant is ok. That being said i only use ford gold.....
Old 09-13-2010, 03:24 PM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I personally use CAT elc - Im in the Marine side of the diesel world, and coolants similar to ford Gold cause silicate dropout and like to plug very important and costly things. However, if maintained correctly, ford gold is great.

Im not a good maintainer of my personal vehicles coolant. So i prefer the ELC
Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM

It is your up pipe or your y pipe it happened to me.. those clamps are tricky you need to make sure they are perfectly lined up. make sure you fix it soon your motor will be covered in soot.... Only use Gold coolant from Ford for a 6.0.........
Old 09-14-2010, 04:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well i took a 100 mile trip yesterday and when i got home i checked hoping to see a sign of where the leak might be, but there was nothing. no soot or discoloration.

as far as the coolant thing. the elc's are compatible with all other coolants but the more it is mixed with others the shorter its time to work (according to the lable). also according to the lable it is safe for all components and meets and exceeds most if not all manufacters of autos and equipment coolant requirements. so with all that info and the fact that maybe the no silicate could be a good thing, why would it not be worth a switch. i know some here are on the sarcastic side and have been running elc for sometime.

now i need to figure out this extra hiss.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would say its the clamp from the up pipes to the turbo, my buddies did this after a turbo removal, loosen the bolts down at the exh manifolds and remove the clamp at the turbo re align it install the clamp, then torque the bolts down at the manifolds and re test for the hiss I bet it goes away. As for the coolant, as long as its a heavy duty diesel rated coolant, not just your regular prestone or peak stuff u get at the parts joints you'll be fine, I recommend flushing the system though. Personally I don't recommend the red colored elcs...especially the cat stuff, I've seen a lot of coolant leak and seal leaking issues with this stuff, I work for cummins and mainly work on semi trucks and I've seen this many times I'm not saying this will always happen its just something I've seen and don't like, I myself plan on flushing and filling with fleetgaurd es complete extended service coolant, its blue in color this is what I use at work in everything and see good results. I don't like the ford gold, and see no real reason to use it.... Just saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.