Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

K&N Air Filter Box Replacement... Good? Bad?

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CaseyB 
#1 ·
Hey all. I have recently just purchased an 2004 Super Duty 6.0L and replaced the OE Air Filter with the K&N Air Filter Box Replacement kit (Part# E-0780). I did this with the intentions of ultimately saving money when it comes to replacing the stock air filters at around $80 every time. Recently I have been hearing alot of negative feed back on actually using aftermarket air filters and how they can result in engine complications and turbo issues. If I could get your alls feed back on using aftermarket air filters or if anyone has had any issues with using this particular (or any other non-OE air filter) I would greatly appreciate it!

#6 ·
I had one on for 2 years or so and seemed to work fine, i never had an issue in regards to fine dust particles getting to the turbo (that i know of).

I also, read alot of bad threads/posts regarding the K&N so i just recently put an S&B closed box on since my stocker is no where to be found. I did examine the K&N plumbing that leads to the turbo and it seemed pretty darn clean. If your going to stick with it, you can order a S&B filter that is a direct replacement of the K&N filter while keeping the K&N system.

#8 ·
If you didnt figure it out already, you can just call s&b and ask them what the cross referenced filter is (from yours)

I should also point out that i didnt pay close enough attention to your model #, i was running an open filter setup - it just had a POS heat shield

And come to think of it, when i got my replacement filter from S&B I compared it side by side with the old K&N i just took off and they looked pretty much identical to each other :dunno: I have pics somewhere

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.