Head studs-one at a time? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head studs-one at a time?

Alright I have read some old threads about doing head studs this way. I've read about the guys who like it and the guys who say it's cutting corners and half azzing it. My question is if you do it this way have you hurt anything? If your gaskets fail later was it caused in any way shape or form by the install? If they fail, would they have failed anyway with the stock bolts? If they fail are you just out your time of doing the install and have to do it the "right" way anyway but you already have the studs? I'm looking for a real reason not to do them this way since my head gaskets are good and don't really want to spend 2 or 3k when this is an option. Please advise but give me something better than it's half azzing it and it's not the "right" way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Don't waste your time man. Honestly. Leave the stock bolts on yours till the gaskets blow, then tear her down. Machine the heads for flatness, put new gaskets on, and ARP's with an EGR delete of your choice.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
60% of 6.0s will show no symptoms of blown head gaskets when in fact they have blown head gaskets so if your going to do studs do it right. Me for instance am just getting studs put in the heads were trashed with deep rust pitting from coolant/water getting in between the gaskets and heads. My two cents do it right when you get the chance
Old 09-10-2010, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Don't waste your time man. Honestly. Leave the stock bolts on yours till the gaskets blow, then tear her down. Machine the heads for flatness, put new gaskets on, and ARP's with an EGR delete of your choice.
I didn't want to put a tuner on it till it had studs but don't have time or money to do it "right". The one at a time method has to be better than stock doesn't it?
Old 09-10-2010, 04:37 AM

I don't think people here will "honestly" answer that question because they've never tried it. So even if they did give their opinion, you probably wouldn't want to trust it unless they had actual experience doing it. I would look for the ones who have done it that way and see what they think and what kind of power they're running through it.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:42 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I did mine with the heads off. I have heard about people doing it one at a time, I have never done it. I have replaced stock head bolts on a 428 Ford FE with ARP head boltls one at a time and it worked. Totaly different though.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
I agree 100%.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Lt. Negativity

So you do it one at a time kool, but do you know if your gasket is blown anywhere ? do you want to do it again ? how about this I had H-11's and my gaskets were blown in 5 different locations sooooooooo think about it, you could be installing studs with blown head gaskets and not even know it. FORD doesnt not recommend just putting studs in and not replacing the gaskets. DO IT RIGHT or you'll pay later.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk27 View Post
I didn't want to put a tuner on it till it had studs but don't have time or money to do it "right". The one at a time method has to be better than stock doesn't it?
You're better off putting the tuner on and waiting on the studs/HG until you have the scratch to do it right. There are a bunch of people on here that run custom tunes without the factory studs/HGs.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
DO IT RIGHT or you'll pay later.
I've always been told "if something's worth doing, it's worht doing right"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.