What to do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to do?

Ok guys I know that there has been many post about tuners but my question is a little different. lol I have an 05 F250 KR CC. Stock exhaust straight piped. I bought a Superchips 1805 tuner and I am using the performance tune. Everything I read said to use that tune for the best economy. MPG is mainly what I bought a tuner for. I took a road trip last weekend and got 18mpg. That was hand calculated. The tuner also gave the truck alot more power. I have been considering the SCT Livewire. I know that it will give me much more power and with a custom tune it will pull the moon out of the sky. lol Im not really looking for more power although I wouldnt complain about it. I am really looking at the Livewire to be able to monitor EGT's and stuff like that. Is the Livewire gonna be as good on fuel economy? Is it worth selling the 1805 and buying the Livewire or should I just buy some gauges or a stand alone monitor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

IDK if a diffence in fuel efficiency would justify the extra cost of a livewire. You could also buy a Edge Insight for gauges and keep your current tuner
Old 09-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Lt. Negativity

Livewire, SF3, X3, X2 they all do the same thing, only difference is the livewire you can watch gauges. x3, x2, sf3 are just that a tuner.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the Insight and they are 300-400 bucks. I also saw another monitor made by BD. It is 69 bucks. Has anyone seen this one and is it any good? I just really dont want to spend that much on the Insight.
BTW what kind of MPG's are yall getting with the Livewire?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should try to watch the classifieds. People sell the insights fairly often on here. Just a thought. Your mpg is going to depend on your tune really. Like Rescue said, it doesn't matter which SCT tuner you have.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:46 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I feel my Insight was worth every penny.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i have had the livewire for 3-4 weeks. with canned tunes on street. i have been testing out the power aspect, not really working on fuel mileage but even with all the burnout and racing around, i got 15 mpg mostly city. so i believe your gas mileage should be pretty close to what your getting now. kinda just depends how you drive. i got 3 custom tunes(extreme, tow, econ) havent ran the economy yet but i am interested to see if its any better.

PS- the livewire is HUGE. i have yet to find a place to mount it, and i dont care for it much at all on the design of it. tunes and all that are good.
and make sure if your wanting to monitor egt's you have to buy the egt kit. they are like 70 something bux. i have an extra egt sensor kit with everything to hook it up to the livewire if you want to buy it off me i will sell it to you cheaper if u get the livewire.

just let me know if ya have any questions or want some pics, send me a pm or something
Old 09-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks Travis. I found a Livewire from a dealer in the Dallas area. If I get it I am gonna order it through a shop where I live. He priced the Livewire, dash mount, and EGT probe kit to me for $450. He said that was wholesale price. Superchips give you a 30 guarantee so if your not happy with it you can return it for a full refund. So if I do that I will only have to spent around $100 more than what I have already spent. If I keep it and go with the Insight I am looking at $300 plus. There is another monitor I saw on 4 wheel parts website thats made by BD. Its $69 but I havent heard anything about them. I keep thinking of questions about the Livewire. lol I saw something about being able to turn off the EGR with the Livewire. What is the purpose of doing this? Is that something that I would want to do? I know I will think of something else later. lol
I like my Superchips, But I like the idea of being able to get custom tunes, and having the tuner and monitor all in one. Sorry about all the questions guys, I am just new to all this and I want to make sure I go with the right stuff. Thanks again for all the replies.
John
Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 AM
one day at a time

I'd get yourself a set of analog gauges on the A pillar and call it good. Pyro, boost, tranny temp...
Old 09-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How much would a set up like that run me? Do you have any pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.