Gauge questions, 03 6.0, what do I need? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gauge questions, 03 6.0, what do I need?

Mornin, fellas.

New to the Ford world, so I'm a dummy, just like a newbie... I've been looking to see what gauges we need for the 6.0 that might be different than a Dodge (said a bad word, I know... )

I know I need EGT, Boost, Fuel pressure, tranny temp. I have seen mention of the oil temp and pressure gauge, and coolant temp gauge. Anything else? With Dodge it's important to monitor rail pressure, (pressure to the injectors on a high pressure common rail fuel system. ) Do you guys have something like that?

I looked at the Edge Insite CS and CTS, what are they missing? I could not find a list of what functions they monitor.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fuel pressure is a "manual" gauge as it can't be monitored through the OBDII port. EGT can be added to some monitors for an additional fee, but I prefer a manual gauge on that one also. The Insite can monitor most functions on an 03--voltage and low/lubrication oil pressure not included.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:13 AM

Tranny temp not as important as:

EGT
Water Temp (coolant temp)
Oil Temp
Fuel Pressure
Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

^ they pretty much hit all the gauges you'll need. I also went with a manual gauge for my pyro instead of hooking it up to my digital gauges.

Dont know if you already have a tuner but in case you were looking, check one of our kits out.
SCT X3 Custom Innovative Diesel Tunning/ Gauge Combo Kit
Old 09-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npccpartsman View Post
Fuel pressure is a "manual" gauge as it can't be monitored through the OBDII port. EGT can be added to some monitors for an additional fee, but I prefer a manual gauge on that one also. The Insite can monitor most functions on an 03--voltage and low/lubrication oil pressure not included.
I was pretty confident that the ECM did not monitor actual pressure, however on some Edge models, you could put a 'T' in the line with a sender to the Edge. (the reason I asked if it did.)

I'm an analog guy myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHMissions View Post
Tranny temp not as important as:

EGT
Water Temp (coolant temp)
Oil Temp
Fuel Pressure
I agree.

Why are the coolant temp and oil temp so important on these? I mean, I understand that you can't boil your coolant, but I watch my gauge on my dash cluster for coolant temp. Is the stock gauge not accurate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi@Stealth Automotive View Post
^ they pretty much hit all the gauges you'll need. I also went with a manual gauge for my pyro instead of hooking it up to my digital gauges.

Dont know if you already have a tuner but in case you were looking, check one of our kits out.
SCT X3 Custom Innovative Diesel Tunning/ Gauge Combo Kit
That looks like a pretty sweet deal... Thanks for the info.

Gents, thank you for your time.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You NEED, pyro, trans and boost..others not at all. We have Isspro's best match for the dash. We also can get the other guages but no reason unless you want them. PM if I can help.

Cary
Old 09-03-2010, 02:09 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
the engine oil temp(eot) and engine coolant temp(ect) need to be compared against eachother. if the are more than 14 degrees apart, that is a sign of head gasket failure. but if your running studs and new hg, you dont really need to worry about it too much. but i watch eot and ect on my truck because i have stock head gasket and studs.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you, Cary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
the engine oil temp(eot) and engine coolant temp(ect) need to be compared against eachother. if the are more than 14 degrees apart, that is a sign of head gasket failure. but if your running studs and new hg, you dont really need to worry about it too much. but i watch eot and ect on my truck because i have stock head gasket and studs.
Smokin... Learning is occurring.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
I would disagree here alittle bit, yes it will let you know if you have bad headgaskets but monitoring ECT and EOT is still important because your oil cooler can get plugged up.
I would argue that they are just as important as monitoring EGT's and Trans temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.