REVIEW: Diamond Eye 5" Exhaust. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post REVIEW: Diamond Eye 5" Exhaust.

I purchased and installed a 5" Diamond Eye Aluminized Exhaust w/ muffler delete + cat delete, here are my impressions.

HUGE. 5" is big, no joke. When I opened the box I was quite surprised at how much larger the 5" sections were compared to the 4" down pipe. There was also a box filled with clamps, instructions, and a warranty card.

I pulled all the pipes out for inspection and noticed a few flange lips had been bent during transit. I later tapped them back to shape with a ball peen hammer. Easy.

Instructions were extremely vague, with no information regarding the cat delete or muffler delete, or much else in fact. After counting all the pipes and doing a mock up on the kitchen floor (wife at work) it still didn't make sense. I was short clamps and had an extra large section of pipe. Oh well maybe it would make more sense when I started working on the truck.

I know I asked in another thread if it was possible to remove the stock exhaust for safe keeping. Well as soon as I started looking around I said F-it and busted out the Sawz-All then started chopping. Did keep the cat though, just in case for later.

INSTALLATION: The 4" DP was a no go. Spent about 30 minutes trying different ways to get it up there. I partially cut off a firewall stud used to hold on the insulation which gained a bit more clearance bit still not enough. Next I unbolted the trans mount and jacked the trans up which tilted the engine forward hopefully giving more clearance. Still not enough but it was so close! With a little persuasion from my compothane hammer I did manage to tap it up all the way. Unfortunately in the process the turbo side sealing lip started to wrinkle up the foil on my firewall insulation. I remember reading about that before and expected it. I plan to smooth it back out later this week.

Laying across the motor I managed to get the DP stubby on the turbo and loosely clamped so I could rotate and position it before final tightening. The rest of the exhaust went in with a few positioning headaches, more than once I had to pull sections down and adjust. There was a LOT of tweaking to get everything just right. Clearance in some areas is JUST enough but most areas are excellent. The DP coming off the turbo surprisingly has nice clearance all the way down to the first joint. I did some engine loading and torque testing to check for contact points with the drive train flexing, but all was good. All bolted up the exhaust is very sturdy.

ISSUES: A couple things I didn't like is there isn't enough pipe in the individual sections to achieve a fully butted insertions. With everything butted tight (pipe A all the way into pipe B) there system was 4 inches too short and the hangers didn't line up. So I could only mate all joints 50% in order to get the correct overall length. IMHO this isn't right. The other after market systems I've installed, and the ones I've bent up myself, have always had 100% joint insertion. Now I don't think this is a problem because there's still quite a bit of sealing area there since the joint flares are huge, but it's not the proper way. Second, the clamps are very cheap. The clamp bases flare out and distort when tightening with just a wrench. Normally in the exhaust shops I've worked at, and everywhere else, we gun the clamps on. I tried to gun one on and the clamp went to jello. I'll have to replace it later. Third, I was shorted a 5" clamp so my installation isn't 100% complete yet but it's enough that it's drivable. I'm debating to tack weld the pipes anyway since these clamps are so weak. Also I still have a huge section of duplicate pipe that goes nowhere, I'm guessing it was just a mistake at the factory because the way it's flared will only allow it to fit on one place, and the clone to that pipe is already installed. Lastly I do have some contact with the tailpipe touching the mud flap. There was NO possible way to adjust this out without tensioning the hangers or sacrificing the sealing area on the flanges. I'll keep an eye on it and make changes later if need be. So some minor but annoying problems, but I'm aware this is a budget price point exhaust.

SOUND: At idle it's terrible. Sounds exactly like the air mattress pump we use when camping. The '03-'04 guys have it made for idle sound quality. Overall volume when driving is livable, perhaps 10% louder than stock. Full throttle brings on a nice bark but isn't too obtrusive in my opinion. Windows open is a different story with the volume levels going up a lot more, but that's personal opinion as I know a lot of people want the aggressive tone. So overall sound volumes is much better than I expected. Overall sound quality is much worse than expected.

PERFORMANCE: Overall not as much as I expected. Removing the cat and installing a 3" exhaust on my Supra was a night/day difference. In this case I feel maybe the turbo is spooling up a touch faster, but not much if anything for horsepower. The exhaust is the only mod so far other than coolant filtration. I suppose one of my main goals with the exhaust was to drop EGTs when towing and that goal has been met though I can't quantify it.

MILEAGE: Awesome! Before exhaust 16.4mpg maximum, now I'm hitting over 20 all the time. What a huge difference! Very happy about this. That's with my mudders too.

OVERALL: Obviously very pleased with the mileage gains and dropping major EGTs for towing. Everything else is can be summed up in one word. Meh. It's a $350 exhaust, what can I say.

Here's a video of it at idle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCj6NJmOX9o]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 02:30 AM

Didnt have any of the problems you did, but of course i dont have mud flaps either though.
Love my diamond eye kit and have no complaints
Certainly didnt have to remove crossmember bolts or cut firewallstuds
Very detailed writeup though, maybe i should do a review on my installation
Old 08-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First thing I do on an exhaust install is throw away the supplied clamps and purchase however many stainless band clamps I need. These seal without question even just butting pipes end to end. Best of all the don't collapse the exhaust pipes so you can take it apart easily.

I have a Magnaflow 4" and I have no problem sliding my 4" down pipe in or taking it out.

Sound quality at idle is going to sound like a vacuum cleaner since you have such a large pipe an so little air moving through it. It sounds like that with a 4" too.

The only way I can see anybody getting a 3.5+ mpg improvement from an exhaust system is if the cat was so clogged up it was creating lots of back pressure.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 AM

I also have the 5" Diamond Eye and had zero problems on the install. no complaints
Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
My joints came up short too. If I didn't extend them apart instead of all the way in the exhaust came way to close to the rear axle so that's why I had to slip them apart a little. I knew how to figure out the exhaust but if someone was going to try to put on this exhaust for a first time job. They wouldn't know where to start. My part numbers didn't match up with my instruction part numbers. I don't know what the deal was but the exhaust sounds great
Old 08-28-2010, 08:55 AM

I can't believe you're just running straight pipe on a 5". I took the muffler off my 4" Diamond Eye the other day and it screams in the neighborhood. I would think the 5" is louder.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
My joints came up short too. If I didn't extend them apart instead of all the way in the exhaust came way to close to the rear axle so that's why I had to slip them apart a little. I knew how to figure out the exhaust but if someone was going to try to put on this exhaust for a first time job. They wouldn't know where to start. My part numbers didn't match up with my instruction part numbers. I don't know what the deal was but the exhaust sounds great
That would make you the 4th person this week that's told me about the identical exhaust problems to mine. I wonder if they had a bad run or something. I noticed my pipes were marked as Made In Canada which makes me suspicious if they subbed a few batches to Flo-Pro or something. Seems a lot of people had perfect fitment, but quite a few have issues too. Anyway, working fine enough now.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas~KR View Post
I can't believe you're just running straight pipe on a 5". I took the muffler off my 4" Diamond Eye the other day and it screams in the neighborhood. I would think the 5" is louder.
Only gets loud if I'm hard into it, and even then the sound is pretty deep so it's no so intrusive. Driving like normal I can't tell much difference from stock, maybe 10% overall. My passengers didn't know I changed anything until I started to work the truck. I think the 4" might be a higher and snappier cackle compared to the 5".
Old 08-28-2010, 06:30 PM

I'm not talking about getting on it. I'm talking about the turbo scream at idle and just lightly pressing on the peddle. The engine noise itself at WOT isn't bad at all.
But, I did forget that I have an 03 turbo, so it's probably 10x's louder than 05+ turbos.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
my turbo is alot louder now. i got to admit leaving school and the moms people waiting for rides my turbo echoes off the building and cars and everyone just stares and get lots of dirty looks sitting at stop lights just idling next to a cars open window whistling like crazy. but hey it makes me happy and thats all that matters. i was kinda upset my exhaust didnt fit right but so far it isnt leaking so i guess i cant complain. i paid 331 for ss and 6 inch tip so i think i got a fair price and product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.