Anyone have problems with their towing tune? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone have problems with their towing tune?

I have an 06 F250 that I recently had the EGR deleted on.

When I had the truck tuned to get rid of the check engine light for the EGR, my tuner gave me a stock tune and a 50 hp towing tune.

The odd thing was, the stock tune felt slower than the truck felt with supposedly no tune on it. I don't know if the truck HAD a tune on it when I bought it, or if the tuner just gave me an ultra conservative tune, but the guy that did the EGR delete said it was making less boost than stock.

He told me these trucks top out at around 24 or 25 psi of boost and, per the stock gauge, it was not making over 20.

In any case, I put the 50 hp towing tune on and the thing FLEW with that on it. I think part of it may have had someting to do with the fact the shift programming was obviously changed too, but either way it had me concerned about blowing the head gaskets.

So, my question is, has anyone had any problems with their towing tunes? Someone I know told me the towing tune is all he had (from Superchips) and his heads started to lift a bit. I am just trying to figure out if I can run with this tune or if I really need to wait until I can afford to do studs and gaskets.

BTW, I use this truck for towing almost everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Stock trucks stretch the headbolts...
Old 08-19-2010, 04:46 PM

Cool

I don't tow everyday.
But I use my tow tune 60 hp on my F-350 dually in and out of the WV mountains when I go camping theres a few pretty good hills on our turnpikes, I don't have any trouble I just watch my boost gauges and try to keep it below 25, 26 LBS because I have seen 30 on mine before. I don't wanna lift my stock head bolts, and heads , these are only made for around 24 lbs of boost.
Everyday drive I run it extra 100 hp for better fuel mpg.
Keep your foot out of it drive normal and I don't see why you wouldn't be fine.
JER-1

Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have had a few tow tunes from a few differant companies, and some created less power then the stock tune in differant areas... for one example, an ID tow tune i had ran less boost and EGT for a given set of conditons then stock, i brought that up, and ID said that due to timing changes, they can make more torque with less egt and boost in some cases, etc....... my point was that some tow tunes have built in saftey features for towing that even the stock tune does not have.... I tested this..... I pulled my 15k trailer up a 4 mile hill, in a certain spot if just floored the pedal and let the truck control the parameters..... the ID tow tune throttled back way quicker then stock, stock i thought the engine was going to gernade, high rpms and 30 plus boost....... the stock tune is built to do it all, so its feasable a custom tow tune would have more built in saftey limits and in cases feel "less powerful"..... i didnt like that though...LOL... since i have had custom tunes built by DP that lay down the most torque possible, for towing, and i keep the engine safe by monitoring...
Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Which tuner are you using and who is writing your custom tunes? That would help a bit.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy209 View Post
Which tuner are you using and who is writing your custom tunes? That would help a bit.
Wow. I just found this reply. I have an Xcal2 that I was using on my supercharged Cobra that now has my tow tune and egr delete stock tune in it. There is a local guy, Cody at StangHi that has tuned quite a few Ford diesels, but I am sure he is not as well known as some of the vendors here.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:32 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Get new tunes from matt over at gearhead. His cylinder pressures are lower than stock, you are less likely to lift the heads. Plus his srl makes a lot of power! I read somewhere that he hasn't had a single person tell him that they blew there head gaskets while running his tune. Just hear say though. Just ask him for the trio package with the srl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.