Not sure what too do - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not sure what too do

I have been creeping these forums for a while learning what I can. Now I havent look at the 6.0 as much as the 6.4 but with the 6.7 now out the 6.0 are selling off for next too nothing. I will say it off the bat I have NO need for a diesel but i like them. They make power and can be upgraded for next too nothing in comparison too a gas. From what I have read I think the 6.0 has like 325 flywheel and 500is tq those are great numbers but I want more for fun. What kind of power do you think i could get off a tuner? i know the 6.4 spartan is totaly unreal but what can the 6.0 make off a tuner. I have always been a big beliver of water/meth so prob throw in a snow water meth kit. i think 450 whp would be nice and also reaslist for this engine but is it actually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I believe a couple of the hotter tunes claim 120-140 hp. Probably come up less on a dyno tho. Seen a couple posts where guys were getting 90-100. Just be aware if you put a tuner on a 6.0 you've greatly upped your chances of a head gasket replacement.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes that is a problem. See im not sure if i should go 6.0 or 6.4 the 6.0 sells for 20-25k with arounk 100 000 km and in lariat trim levels. the 6.4s are selling for 24-35k in the fx4 and lower tims. however the more I read abut 6.4 tuneing and power the more a 6.4 seems right for me.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 PM

If your going to tune a 6.0 be ready for head gasket replacement....it does not happen to all of them but some of them for sure.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
450 RWHP is definitely possible with a 6.0. But, like the guys said, you gotta be ready to do it right or you will tear stuff up. It seems trucks with setups close to what is listed in my sig are getting close to 400 horse and in the neighborhood of 725 for torque at the wheels. I don't have studs, and I'm gonna run it until I need them. I have good reason to believe they will stay intact as my wrench-turner says I'm making 2-3psi less boost with the new turbo.

Anyways, I had this logic about he 6.0 put to me...At this point, there are a lot of people that are really smart on it. There is a huge selection of aftermarket stuff for it, and it's well tested, and more affordable than 6.4L stuff, and definitely 6.7L stuff. And, at this point, the common failures/problems are pretty well known, and preventable. Picking one of for a good price isn't a bad idea at all. Just do your homework, and make sure you are dealing with established, reputable folks.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 AM

Also I would sugest gauges before tuning not the other way around.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 PM

I am runniung the SCT with Innovative street tune and love the gains. I dont have studs and still have the EGR and try not to run to heavy on the gas and do more of a role threw the throttle. All the threads I have gone threw and people I have talked with suggest putting in a coolant filtreation system and oil bypass. These two things will help keep your truck in good working paramters and are just a good add ons if your planning to get more HP and TQ. If you dont run it to hard you should be fine but then again every truck is different and you could blow the head gaskets just as easy on a stock truck then a light modified one. Get gauges or CTS before you tuen and just watch your numbers and keep em in safe parameters and you will see and enjoy the new found power gains. There is a lot of guys and girls, lol on here that are more then willing to help you out. Great group of people on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.