Dieselsite Intake Boots. How do you guys get them to stay on? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dieselsite Intake Boots. How do you guys get them to stay on?

I bought a set of barely used dieselsite intake boots and clamps from somebody about a month ago and just got around to installing them today. At first I tightened the clamps to the recommended 60 inch/lbs that dieselsite says. Even though that didnt seem near tight enough to me I went for a drive and a block from my house got it up to 20 lbs of boost before I heard a very very loud bang followed by lots of loud whistling. Sure enough the boot at the turbo popped off the pipe. I had some wrenches on me to i put it back together and tightened all the clamps a bunch more. Made it a few more blocks and this time I got the boost to high 20's before I heard another bang. This time the boot at the intercooler popped off the pipe and the boot at the turbo was almost off the pipe. I put it all back together again which was super fun while everything in the engine compartment was burning my hands. I then drove it back home and kept the boost under 20 lbs and everything was fine.

I made sure I cleaned all the oil off of everything very good. I am thinking of going to buy some hair spray or see if the gf has some tomorrow and putting them back on with that and see if it helps. I was just wondering if anybody else had this much trouble? I have never had a factory boot pop off in 110,000 kms but you sure know when it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 07:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
They will definately do that is there is some oil residue in there
Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 PM

Well I made sure I cleaned everything really well. Tomorrow after work I will take them back off and try again though.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 PM

Use some good degreaser on the pipes, the rinse them off. Apply lots of hairspray to the pipe and boot. Then tighten the clamps till you can't move them at all.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhoghp View Post
Use some good degreaser on the pipes, the rinse them off. Apply lots of hairspray to the pipe and boot. Then tighten the clamps till you can't move them at all.
Thanks for the tips. I am going to do this tomorrow after work and hopefully it works.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Yeah its loud for sure , when it happened to me I shat myself.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:03 PM

instead of hair spray u can use handsoap/dishsoap then they go easy on tube, and they stay there,,,
Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Well i made it all the way to and from work today without blowing a boot off. But i kept the boost below 10lbs. When i got home I took everything back apart, washed the intake tube with super clean. Then I took some brake kleen and cleaned up both ends of the tube, and the turbo and intercooler where the boots sit. i even took a bit of sandpaper and scuffed up the ends of the intake tube because they felt too smooth. I then used hairspray on all the connections. You can really tell the hairspray works because I sprayed some on the intercooler, then sprayed a bit in the boot, after I slide the boot on the intercooler and let it sit for a minute I grabbed it and tried to turn it and it wouldnt turn.

Anyways I got it all together made it to the end of the street where I opened her up and POP right when it hit 28lbs of boost. So i pulled over and the boot came off the pipe at the intercooler again. So i put it back on tightened the crap out of the clamp and tried again. I made two WOT runs and hit 28-30 lbs of boost both times and nothing came apart.

Ive still got a really bad feeling that something will come apart at the worst time possible...like this weekend on a camping trip with a new gf...that will be embarrassing. I am thinking about ordering the rings from dieselsite that pop on the intake tube and hopefully those will make me feel alittle better about anything coming apart.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0DSLPWR View Post
Well i made it all the way to and from work today without blowing a boot off. But i kept the boost below 10lbs. When i got home I took everything back apart, washed the intake tube with super clean. Then I took some brake kleen and cleaned up both ends of the tube, and the turbo and intercooler where the boots sit. i even took a bit of sandpaper and scuffed up the ends of the intake tube because they felt too smooth. I then used hairspray on all the connections. You can really tell the hairspray works because I sprayed some on the intercooler, then sprayed a bit in the boot, after I slide the boot on the intercooler and let it sit for a minute I grabbed it and tried to turn it and it wouldnt turn.

Anyways I got it all together made it to the end of the street where I opened her up and POP right when it hit 28lbs of boost. So i pulled over and the boot came off the pipe at the intercooler again. So i put it back on tightened the crap out of the clamp and tried again. I made two WOT runs and hit 28-30 lbs of boost both times and nothing came apart.

Ive still got a really bad feeling that something will come apart at the worst time possible...like this weekend on a camping trip with a new gf...that will be embarrassing. I am thinking about ordering the rings from dieselsite that pop on the intake tube and hopefully those will make me feel alittle better about anything coming apart.
That's the best time for something simple to go wrong. "oh my god what was that?!?!" You pop the hood, put the boots back on, she thinks you're the greatest man on the face of the earth and can do anything.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:19 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

i hear jb weld works wonders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.