Edge Evolution - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Evolution

Anyone know what the Edge Evolution (not CS/CTS) changes in the ECM when set on economy? More specifically does it change the EGR programming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would also like to know this. I'm under the basic assumption that all programmers disable the EGR valve to some degree, hence the gain in fuel economy (as long as your right foot allows).
Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 PM

I've got the Evolution but I'm only using it as set of gauges. Never programmed it. A friend of mine has it and under economy setting he sees the occasional black smoke when about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Leads me to believe that it does bypass the EGR, but wondering if anyone can confirm this.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The edge isnt going to by pass the EGR. the black smoke is from more fuel being added to the truck, The most economical tune is the highest tune if you can keep your foot out of it. When the truck has more hp it takes less to get it going giving it more MPG.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
The edge will not remove the egr from the tuning. You will have to get custom tunes to do that.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:29 PM

I have the Edge Evolution and i would only recommend using the Tow Tune. The Hotter Tune has significant timing so you will want to have Studs and an EGR delete. I have been very happy with the Evolution which program shift firmness. Their customer support has been great.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:57 PM

Not even interested in the hot tune. The ones of interest are the tow and economy tunes. The reason I'm asking about the EGR is because of the black smoke and it would make sense to limit if not down right turn off EGR operation.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohle View Post
Not even interested in the hot tune. The ones of interest are the tow and economy tunes. The reason I'm asking about the EGR is because of the black smoke and it would make sense to limit if not down right turn off EGR operation.
Under WOT and most acceleration, the valve is over 90% closed anyways. At cruising speed the valve cycles through various percentages of open to lower in cylinder temps. Yes there is power loss with the valve open, but at cruising speed it is negligible. And if you run the performance tune, you will get better mileage than any economy tune. If you look through the manual, most canned tuners even tell you that with conservative driving, it will give you better mileage.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:28 PM

What I'm looking for is to reduce the deposits in the EGR system. I'm doing the regular EGR valve cleaning, but that's just the valve. Who knows what the cooler looks like. Hence I'm looking for ways to reduce EGR operation while remaining relatively stock. I don't want a delete kit as I believe there are other headaches that may arise from it.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohle View Post
What I'm looking for is to reduce the deposits in the EGR system. I'm doing the regular EGR valve cleaning, but that's just the valve. Who knows what the cooler looks like. Hence I'm looking for ways to reduce EGR operation while remaining relatively stock. I don't want a delete kit as I believe there are other headaches that may arise from it.
If that's what you're trying to do, get a second EGR valve. With the Engine off, key oof, unplug the egr valve and plug in the second one. Use some zipties to attach the second valve to the intake elbow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.