PHP FICM reflash? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PHP FICM reflash?

Got an 04' 6.0l and after the last time I went to the dealership they reflashed my truck and mileage went in the dump along with power. I've been doing some research and it seems that Power Hungry Performance (PHP) can reflash your FICM back to the off the line program. Has anyone done this and what have the pro's and con's been. I do a lot of driving in northern MI in the winter, where the truck can sit outside for days in -10 to even -20F temps and there aint no one around in case she don't start. So for me I need to keep the reliability of starting and driving. One the phone they tell you all kinds of good things, but no bad. Just like to hear of the effects of this.

Also, is it possible to have ford, after being difficult and persistant, reflash back to the early days?

Finally, I know that you can send your FICM into Swamps to have them completely rebuild it and reflash it with PHP's program. Would this be the better option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 04:39 PM

I got mine done about a year ago and think its well worth the money. I live in michigan as well and never had a cold start problem and we had some cold nights last winter. Dont expect a huge power gain but it will spool alittle faster and I gained about 2 mpg.

I wouldnt send it to swamps if it isnt broken, PHP will test it before they flash to make sure it is solid. I have a buddy that is a ford tech and I tried to get an earlier flash from him and I was told that the computer will only allow him to flash ahead and that once he has a newer file they dont have access to the old ones any longer.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2davis1 View Post
I got mine done about a year ago and think its well worth the money. I live in michigan as well and never had a cold start problem and we had some cold nights last winter. Dont expect a huge power gain but it will spool alittle faster and I gained about 2 mpg.
Same here, only mine spooled A LOT faster. It's not so much a power upgrade, but with a faster spooling turbo, it's just as fun! I also saw 2mpg gain on winter blend, and at the time my only mods were intake, exhaust and ID tunes. Went from mid 13s well into the 15s. Don't know about the whole needing to have it rebuilt thing. First time I've heard of that.

For my .02, it's the best $125 I've spent on any mod.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:24 AM

did you guys mail yours in?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yep. Think it was 4 or 5 days, round trip.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'll add to the happy PHP customer line-up. Well worth the cost since it's adds decent gains to the motor. I'm happy with mine and would do it again.

I do have a cold start issue (sort of). When temps start dipping below 50*F overnight without plugging in the truck I need to let the motor warm up a few minutes before running down the road. Plug it in and I have no issues.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 AM

what are these issues, rough idle. stutter, smoke?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nothing like the issues you described. More like the pedal is SUPER sensitive to input. Light input and the truck just wants to zoom off. If I let the motor warm up it responds like normal to pedal input.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 AM

I went on their website and I would have to do the remote reprogramming because this is a daily driver. There is a couple of options, did you guys go with the ECM/TCM roll back with stock calibration or the FICM reprogramming with the hybrid calibration?

kinda scratching my head at the four options they have. I think the best for me would be the ECM/TCM rollback with stock calibration because I don't have a chip.

any thoughts?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:19 PM

I would call and talk to them, they'll describe everything better and set you up with what's best for you. I'm getting the PCM rollback and Ficm reprogramming done next month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.