any tips for installing a new transmission? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
any tips for installing a new transmission?

I finally got my old trans out and what a B***H that was.. Anyone have any suggestions on putting in the new trans? Should I attach the trans to the transfer case before or after its attached at the bellhousing and crossmember? Also should I put the plugs into the trans before or after its up there?? any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Bump putting the other one in in the next day or so
Old 08-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I usually get the trans bolted onto the bell housing and let it sit down just a little so that the jack is still supporting it and then connect all the connectors and put the transfer case on. Then put the cross member in.

Also be sure to flush the cooler lines with some commercially available trans cooler flush in a can and replace the external filter if it has one.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:46 PM

i have done it a few times on my old lifted truck. i have always put the t case on first. everytime it was a pita because of the lift and i was doing it by myself with two floor jacks and some straps. next time i am getting tranny jack. then may be i would do tranny then t case
Old 08-14-2010, 08:31 PM

bump ive read not to bolt the converter to the flexplate however idk how else to do it?? You cant line the studs on the converter with the holes in the flexplate without the converter slipping too far into the bell housing?? Any tips?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke Techie

If you bolt the converter to the flex plate and then try to put the trans up there you will break stuff. The converter on a Ford trans needs to be completely seated in the bell housing. This means that the nub in the center needs to be below flush with the bell housing. When you put the trans up there the studs will only stick through in the last half inch or so of lineup. Then after you get your bell housing bolts tightened your studs should be sticking through enough to get your nuts started. If not then you have issues... such as an incorrect torque converter or flexplate on backwards or incorrect flexplate.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:33 AM

K that helps alot.. It just seems like the studs wouldnt make it threw the holes in the flexplate if all the way seated.. I guess ill have to try it in a little bit and see. Any way to line up the studs on the converter more easily than eyeballing it? Thanks alot for that info
Old 08-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Wait.. how can you tighten the bellhousing bolts and still get to the flexplate nuts?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsps View Post
Any way to line up the studs on the converter more easily than eyeballing it?
That's all I ever do. Kinda sucks on the ones that you can't touch the torque converter to spin it.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke Techie

What's this on? Is it on your 05? I usually take out the plug on the bottom of the cover between the oil pan and the transmission and use a semi-deep 3/8 drive socket and then use a remote start switch to bump over the engine and watch with a mirror to see when the studs line up with the hole. Otherwise you can use a 18mm box end wrench to turn over the engine from the crank pulley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.