who to go with for custom tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question who to go with for custom tune

I have finally decided to go with an sct with custom tunes, but there are several folks who do it and I just want to go with the best. I am not looking for an extra hot tune, just one that gives better millage and when Im in a show off mood I want it to have the ability to leave my buddys 7.3 (with a superchips cortex) in a cloud of smoke. Oh yeah and I dont really care for enough power to put my tranny 6 ft under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i love my gear head tunes
Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 PM

YOU NEED TO SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are tons of people who write tunes.

I can speak for SCT canned tunes(the ones that come with the SCT) and Vivan's Looney tune. They are all amazing, the SCT street tune gets a couple MPG better, it's 90hp and treats the truck well. The looney is between 130-160hp and is unbelieveable, tranny still handles great.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Eric at IDP, Matt at Gearhead, Vivian at Quick Tricks all have very nice tunes. You wouldn't be dissapointed with any of them.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM

kinda worried

Im starting to have second thoughts because i dont wana screw my truck up because the only performance upgrade i have is a 5'' mbrp turbo back should i Spend the money on studs and egr delete first or what
Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM

tunes

Well I just bought the ID program (tow, street and extreme street) and SCT for my Excursion. One thing I learned (I hope) is that the EGR is controled by the ECU. Sooooooo, the ID tunes keep the EGR closed ........... period. Not sure if I would say its a substitute for the EGR delete, but it can sure raise the life if nothing else. Just have to watch the EGT now.

Boy is that enough accronyms?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonylost View Post
Well I just bought the ID program (tow, street and extreme street) and SCT for my Excursion. One thing I learned (I hope) is that the EGR is controled by the ECU. Sooooooo, the ID tunes keep the EGR closed ........... period. Not sure if I would say its a substitute for the EGR delete, but it can sure raise the life if nothing else. Just have to watch the EGT now.

Boy is that enough accronyms?
Yes the tune can turn the EGR valve off so that your not eating exhaust fumes instead of fresh air but that does absolutely nothing to save you from blown EGR coolers which is the major problem with the EGR system. Watching EGT's is fine but unless you are towing or running with heavy loads not going to be a major issue. What you need to watch is your ECT and EOT so that you know if your oil cooler is clogging BEFORE your truck starts puking and you blow EGR coolers and head gaskets.

For the OP you can run the SCT tunes and many folks have for many miles without head studs. Like I said above, watch your ECT and EOT and fix stuff when your temp deltas exceed 15* and it will go a long way toward keeping your truck safe. If the head gaskets go that is the time to put in studs.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
We have SCT's with BTS custom tunes..safe for the trans and headstuds. PM if we can Help.

Cary
Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd think you'd be pretty safe on just running the canned tunes. I know a few people who just run the canned tunes just because they want to be "safe" and so far they haven't had any problems.

And you shouldn't have to much trouble beating a 7.3 on canned tunes. Back when I just had the Edge Juice Platinum on my truck, nothing else, me and my buddy raced 3 times. All 3 times he left his Edge on xtreme on his 7.3. The first race we were both in extreme, blew him away, second race I was in daily while he was still in extreme, easily pulled him by 4 car lengths. Third race, he was still on extreme and me stock, he got the jump on me but I pulled him by a little under the length of my truck...
Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ive ran Innovative tunes from Eric and DP tunes from Jodi, can search the internet for either those names and get there site...... Eric will only email back and forth, which has its downsides, you can talk to Jodi in person.... i have both and switch back and forth... i favor my DP tune, it runs a little hotter, but im sure i could of asked Eric to take it up a notch and he would no problem...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.