What do you "HAVE" to do to esure long term reliablity? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What do you "HAVE" to do to esure long term reliablity?

I've been researching the crap out of diesel pickup trucks for the last year trying to decide what to get. I'm a big fan of the 6.4 because of the simplicity of deleting the DPF adding a tuner and intake and making over 500HP and 1000TQ. But at the same time I've heard such crazy variances in gas mileage with them and if they ever decide to actual do emissions checks where I live I'll have to jump through those hoops as well. At any rate, from what I've read here and elsewhere the main issues with the 6.0's lie in the EGR and the EGR cooler which fail and then cause the head gaskets to fail. My question is, upon purchase of 6.0 what do you have to do to ensure long term reliability? Can I simply get a Elite Diesel full EGR delete installed and go on my way, or are Head studs and new Gaskets a must have as well? Can the EGR delete be done with the cab on, or does it need to come off? I would definitely be running aftermarket programming (probably Erics tunes from Innovative Diesel).

I'm basically trying to figure out how much money I need to drop on the truck after it's purchased. For example I know if I got a 6.4 I would have to drop at least 1500 on it to get a tuner, delete pipe, and aftermarket intake. Programmers for 6.0's are a lot cheaper but I don't know how much I need to spend on deleting the EGR or adding head studs yet...

Thanks for any info...
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 AM

Crap, I misspelled "ensure"...
Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have a 6.4 and am looking into the same thing. I had a tuner rep tell me that running a tune (canned or custom) for an extended period of time will eventually clog the egr on the 6.4. I am in the same spot as you, I want to have a some more power (not a ton) and want this engine to last a very long time. So I am currently looking into an egr delete and head stud job. Rudy's seems to be the best price for what seems to be a very reputable shop. So in the mean time I am running the dpf delete and trans only (stock hp) tune. I'll be curious as to what some of the other guys say.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Lt. Negativity

Here is my list for you.

EGR Delete 350.00
Coolant Filtration 135.00
Exhaust 300-500.00
SCT 450.00 with 3 custom tunes mild nonstudded file

Its the matter how you drive it as well, also pull the oasis report on the vehicle to make sure the history of it. As for anything else you really dont need anything else just drive it with some sense the harder you drive it the chances of blowing gaskets will be higher, and regular maintance
Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM

You can do the egr delete kit whit the cab on. I payed 200 for my egr delete kit. Just a little info i can add for you.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 AM

Link to the coolant filtration kit? I don't plan on drag racing it, but I do love the power of a diesel...
Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan37 View Post
I have a 6.4 and am looking into the same thing. I had a tuner rep tell me that running a tune (canned or custom) for an extended period of time will eventually clog the egr on the 6.4. I am in the same spot as you, I want to have a some more power (not a ton) and want this engine to last a very long time. So I am currently looking into an egr delete and head stud job. Rudy's seems to be the best price for what seems to be a very reputable shop. So in the mean time I am running the dpf delete and trans only (stock hp) tune. I'll be curious as to what some of the other guys say.
That's a nice looking truck. EGR delete on the 6.4 seems a bit more involved since you have to add the wastegate to it. Not a lot of guys have done it yet from what I've seen and I would think it would void your warranty. That's a big chance to take on such a new truck.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:24 AM

So I am goin to a 6.4 and same deal. I want the power, so I run tunes but I am goign to take it easy with tune pwer. I just want mileage and a pep when I step on it. Otherwise I need longevity. So would deleting the EGR all together asap be the best or even if it clogs up would it be the same to do it then. I know on my duramax we just do an EGR plate blocker... no one makes anything like that. And with EFI Live tuning I can shut it right off, can Spartan do that as well? I would hope for the price!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 AM

If you're asking about an EGR delete on your 6.4 then you would get better answers in the 6.4 "Performance Parts" section.
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Old 07-21-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disnitch View Post
If you're asking about an EGR delete on your 6.4 then you would get better answers in the 6.4 "Performance Parts" section.
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Very sorry I just realized it was in the 6.0 section. My mistake.. F*&^in rooks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.