Tire Revs Per Mile - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Tire Revs Per Mile

Here is the way to hand calculate your Revs Per Mile (the most accurate measurement). This is not my idea, I'm just passing the info along as it was given to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarriveau View Post
I know alot of us use the calculators out there to figure out the number for the sct or rely on the tuner to figure it out from tire size... well they are off. Lonnie brought this to my attention.

After correcting the number the shifting got alot better then what it was..

Here's the simple way if you don't already know how..

Put a mark or piece of tape on the 6 o'clock position of your tire(side of it) and then make a mark on the ground next to it(starting point) , roll the truck forward or back one full turn so the mark is back at the 6 o'clock position again. make another mark on the ground. Now measure how far apart the 2 are in inches.. mine was 99"

There are 63360" in a mile..

so 63360/99 is 640 thats how many revs per mile the tire will make..

Iv been putting in what the calculator told me and that was 617.. Tires are 285/70/17s.

Yah that's a bit off now isnt it..

Go try it out for your self it really made my shifts alot quicker and nicer. only took my 2 years to learn this
Ill add there was never any problems but this made a change that i like.
If a Moderator could please make this a sticky, I would greatly appreciate it, as I have gotten a ton of PM's asking for this information.

Thanks!
john galt and Stiles like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SickStroke6.0 For This Useful Post:
Stiles (03-08-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I used a dab of liquid soap on one of the tire lugs, rolled truck on concrete then measured between the two marks on the driveway.
Stiles likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoneDunIt For This Useful Post:
Stiles (03-08-2014)
Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

I do think hand calculating is always going to be more accurate.

I do have a question about the quoted section above. Do we know how much wear the tires had when he made the ground measurement? That measurement will change as the tire wears.
Stiles likes this.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sure that tire measurement cant change that must as far as entering tire rotation in the SCT program. Or I guess you could measure once a year and reenter the RPM at that time. I would love to know of a actual measure test of how much rubber was left on the road after a year of driving, burnouts, and ricer whipping. Steve
john galt and Stiles like this.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post

I do have a question about the quoted section above. Do we know how much wear the tires had when he made the ground measurement? That measurement will change as the tire wears.
I would just measure about every 5-6 months, depending on how you drive!
Old 07-10-2010, 03:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post

That's the beauty about hand calculating every few months. You get an accurate measurement that's not dependant on tire size or wear and you can go a few more rev's per mile on your SCT program tweaks to compensate for wear.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a question about the measurement. I went out and measured my tires and they are 285/70/17 Nitto's. They measured 102.5 inches. When I did 63360/102.5 I came up with 618. Now when I check Nitto's sight they show my tire at 634. I used 1010tires.com tire calculator and it shows 636. On that sight it shows the circumference at 102.7 which is very close to what I had at 102.5. Now if we are both using almost the same circumference measurement how is theres 636 and when I used the 63360/102.5 I come up with 618?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:47 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeless View Post
I have a question about the measurement. I went out and measured my tires and they are 285/70/17 Nitto's. They measured 102.5 inches. When I did 63360/102.5 I came up with 618. Now when I check Nitto's sight they show my tire at 634. I used 1010tires.com tire calculator and it shows 636. On that sight it shows the circumference at 102.7 which is very close to what I had at 102.5. Now if we are both using almost the same circumference measurement how is theres 636 and when I used the 63360/102.5 I come up with 618?
Depending on the wheel it's mounted on it could change those numbers.

If you play around with the numbers a bit you will see what happens with the tire revolutions. Since the SCT jumps in 5 rev increments I figured the tire needs to loose 1" in order to require a change in the SCT user adjustable settings. I set mine to 595 running 35" Toyos and it makes a HUGE difference from my settings from the Toyo website.
Stiles likes this.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Depending on the wheel it's mounted on it could change those numbers.

If you play around with the numbers a bit you will see what happens with the tire revolutions. Since the SCT jumps in 5 rev increments I figured the tire needs to loose 1" in order to require a change in the SCT user adjustable settings. I set mine to 595 running 35" Toyos and it makes a HUGE difference from my settings from the Toyo website.
So is the 595 what Toyo's website said you should be running or did you just try different settings until you found the best one?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:18 PM
N.S.D.Q.

I did the math as described above a few times. Took the average and tried the two closest settings that the SCT could program. 595 has the best shifting feel from what I could remember when it was stock. It tows my boat just fine or anything else I want to do for that matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.