Just Got My New Lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just Got My New Lift

I just got my new lift for my 2007 F250 Outlaw. I planning on doing the install myself and im just wondering ab a few things. Its a rough country 4.5" lift. Im looking for answers on how you guys compress the front coil springs. And is there anything that i need to look out for when im installing my lift. This is my first lift but were pretty decent a turning wrenches. So any help you guys can offer would be great. Thanks

Hopefully i can get in done soon and i'll post up some PICS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I know they make coil spring compressors. I used them when I installed a mustang II front end in my 57 Ford F100 and they work great. You could try those out.

Or...Me and a buddy installed a 6" rough country lift in his 2005 F350. What we did was jack the truck up and put frame stands under the frame. We then undid what we had to from the axle and lowered the axle down untill the springs were free. Only problem with this is you need to have the frame of the truck up high enough to be able to let the axle down enough to get the spring out.

EDIT-I just looked up the instructions for you from rough country. This is how we did my buddys but rough country explains it a bit better than I did.(http://www.roughcountry.com/install/479s.pdf)
Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do yourself a favor and get a package of heavy duty zip ties.

While the weight is still on the truck, zip tie some of the coils together in the front springs, this will make it easier to remove from the truck, and you wont have to use a coil compressor to get them out. make sure to use at least 2 or 3 zip ties for safety sake. Once out of the truck, lay them on their side and cut the zip ties, since they are sideways, with nothing to push on they wont go anywhere.

Most shops have coil compressors, you can flip them 10-20 bucks to compress the new springs, and then use your zip ties to lock them down for install, or see if you can rent or borrow one from auto parts store. They are fairly affordable. But, its something you will maybe use once or twice, so its a waste of space in my opinion.

I have also made a coil springs compressor for real cheap from home depot, took about 20 min, and cost about 10 bucks. i took two pieces of 2x4 about 8-10 inches long, drilled a hole in the center of each. i bought a threaded rod two nuts and heavy washers. I put a 2x4 on either end of the coil spring, took the threaded rod and put it through the hole on either board. From there, add washers and nuts and start turning them. once compressed to the correct length, zip tie the spring down, and remove the compressor.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:57 AM

When I did mine I went to home depot and bought some tie down straps (rated for a couple thousand pounds). When the truck is still on the ground, use the tie downs and crank them down as far as you are able. LOL since I didn't need them for anything else other than that, I just returned them when done. If I got stuck with them, they were only $20 and still have some uses.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There is no real need to compress the springs. Just get the frame up high enough to take any pressure off and pull them out. It has to go higher still to get the new ones in. This is a piece of cake if you have a lift and a bit of a pain if you don't.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

PGreenSVT is exactly right. lift the truck high enough( tall frame jackstands ) and the install will go so much easier. take the pressure off the springs and you won't need spring compressors.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Both the above posts are exactly right. Only reason to compress the springs (as I did) was because I was adding 6" and my jack stands were not that tall. There wasn't enough room between the ground and how high my truck was. If you have the room when you have the truck up you should be fine.

You can put it on jack stands, then take a floor jack under the front pumpkin and just barely support it and you should be able to remove them no problem.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks!!!

Thanks alot for all the advice you guys gave. I had some of the same ideas that were talked ab. (lifting the truck high enough). We do have a lift so that shouldn't be a problem. I too have heard ab the ratchet strap idea. But as far as using strong Zip ties i haven't. Not to say that it wouldn't work because i bet it does. It sounds like that it would be pretty simple. Has anyone installed this same lift yet?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Like mentioned above, there is no need for a coil spring compressor. I have done everything on my truck in my driveway with a good floor jack and a set of Harbor Freight jack stands.

12 Ton Jack Stands

Print this and take it with you for 20% off:

http://i49.tinypic.com/nfnvav.jpg

I am up to 8" of lift on the front of my truck and have never used a spring compressor. Jack the truck up high, support it by the frame (or the crash bar under the front bumper). Once its supported, put a little pressure on the front axle with a floor jack, undo the shocks and sway bar links, and then ease down on the jack until the spring falls out.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you guys are crazy talking about zipties and what not. whay make it harder and more unsafe. if you lift the truck high enough and lower the front axle down the springs will just fall out, simple as that. zip ties, thats great. i just installed an Icon 7" in the driveway with a 3 1/2 ton jack and the same stands txfireman1972 mentioned. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.