Royal Purple or Amsoil? Mercon SP? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
My father uses Amsoil in our 7.3 and swears by it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 PM
CW4 Retired, US Army

As far as the Mercon SP. Do not use Mercon III, IV or V. It has to be the SP. The only place I have been able to find any is at the dealer.

I believe that Amsoil does make a synthetic that is made to meet the requirements and specs for the SP. I don't know for sure.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:51 AM

Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid is completely compatible with other synthetic and petroleum automatic transmission fluids. AMSOIL ATF is a universal, multi-functional fluid that greatly reduces the need for specialized fluid inventories and the possibilities of misapplication.

AMSOIL ATF is recommended for transmission, hydraulic and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

* GM DEXRON® II, III & VI
* Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V & SP
* Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4®
* Honda Z-1 (Not for use in CVT transmissions)
* Toyota Type T and T-IV
* Mitsubishi/Hyundai Diamond SP II & III
* Allison C-3, C-4
* Caterpillar TO-2
* Voith G607, G1363
* ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B, 14C
* Mercedes Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
* BMW 7045E
* NAG 1 & 2
* JWS 3309
* LT 71141 (ESSO)
* Nissan Matic D, J & K
* Vickers I-286S & M-2950S

AMSOIL - Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid
Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to dr2077
I'm glad to hear that Amsoil has an approved ATF fluid! I think I've decided to go with Royal Purple oil & gear lube and Amsoil ATF. I found a pretty cool "independant test" that North Carolina University did comparing the fuel and emmissions of Royal Purple motor oil vs Amsoil and Havoline "mineral" oil. RP outperformed both in all tests. You can download the report from RP's website. Anyone know of any other tests that show different results?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:25 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
I am currently running the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 full syntactic..its super expensive but I am going to double my oil change intervals.

I have put about 4K on the Valvoline and I love it..seems to smooth the motor out.

I ordered analysis test for the oil..so when I change it..I will get it tested..
Old 05-16-2007, 08:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sciulli
Schaeffer Oil makes some of the finest syn products around(better than Amsoil or Royal Purple). Lots of big trucking firms use it and they have extended drain intervals. If you just simply decide to use a syn product and just double your drain milage any problems motor could be drawn to that(without proper testing). Typically the company spells out that you can run said oil for X number of miles depending upon driving habits and regular oil samples. Schaeffer has there own lab where youi can send your stuff for analysis an thus find an approatte drain interval sutiable to your driving habits.

Last edited by Sciulli; 05-16-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just did the Amsoil with the twin bypass filters seems good, I'm doing my tranny with the Amsoils ATF next week, there is a guy in so cal who can change it all out including the TQ. He uses compressed air to blow all of the old ATF out. The oil and dual filter set up was around 500. But I use Royal Purple in my Jeep transfer case and tranny and made big difference. So I guess I was no help to you... my friend used Amsoil on his 7.3 and it now has 450K on it.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:04 PM

We test all of our oils as well. We use Blackstone Laboratories. The kit is free and the report is like 22 bucks I think.
Blackstone Laboratories

We usually start out at 8k miles, send in a sample, and see what they say. They will recommend the next sample interval.

Remember new vehicles show crap in the oil from break-in.

I would never just jump up intervals without a lab telling me its ok.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:44 PM
LTJDS

Smile Amsoil ATF

SP ?? I know Amsoil was going to be the first aftermarket company to provide SP ATF , But I can not confirm if it is being distributed as of yet...?
Check Amsoil and see if their new SP replacement is on the market yet..
last I heard it was still in development, But rest assured when it (Amsoil SP) comes out it will be the best alternative.
SP is SP 4 a reason , do not substitue anything 4 Mercon SP until you are Proof + that it is exactly werd 4 werd an SP equivalent.
Just my
Old 06-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

bypass filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcher1 View Post
Funny, I spent the morning today putting Royal Purple in my diffs and transfer case. I have never tried RP before but I have heard great things about it and I think it was Diesel World that had it featured in an article with favorable reviews. Interestingly, I had a lot of metal on my Mag-hytec magnet and the oil was looking horrible in the rear diff. Not sure what the shop used that put on the Mag but geeez, it only had 12000 miles on it. I do plan on running amsoil with a amsoil bypass as soon as I have the $700 to do it. Perhaps next oil change...
if you want a bypass filter I would use the FS2500 it's alittle less expensive and easier to plumb in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.