Bully Dog Power Pup Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bully Dog Power Pup Questions

Anyone on here running a Power Pup with or without the outlook?

The truck I bought yesterday came with one and wanted to get some feedback. I am looking for the setting that maximizes fuel mileage for city and highway driving unloaded, along with towing about 3,000 to 5,000 pounds at the most.

It has a "pre turbo pyro" on it, not EGT pyro. What temperature is too hot for the pre turbo temp? Driving easy it has been in the low 400's and getting on it it's been in the low 500's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 09:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
that doesnt sound to bad but if you want something that will maximize it sell the bullydog and get a custom tuned SCT livewire by innovative diesel
Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM

I knew someone was going to say that. I don't mind the BD, especially since it was free. I probably won't upgrade to the SCT just because I don't need that much power, and don't need that much power since I don't have head studs and don't want to do them until I need to lol. I run it on the lowest tune which is about 35 HP I believe. My plan is to do an EGR delete and maybe an exhaust then run it until the head gaskets and/or head bolts go then go all out on it with studs and and SCT. But for now I don't want to be tempted with that much power lol.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 AM

lol yepp if you ask anyone here theyll pretty much tell you sct for 6.0, 6pos chip for 7.3, and spartan for 6.4 .
Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid326 View Post
It has a "pre turbo pyro" on it, not EGT pyro. What temperature is too hot for the pre turbo temp? Driving easy it has been in the low 400's and getting on it it's been in the low 500's.
Pre turbo pyro is a setting on the Outlook monitor that just says that is the EGT pyrometer installed before the turbo (where they need to be) as you can also hook one up after the turbo with the outlook. As long as you don't sustain temps over 1200 for a long time you are good. And your temps seem lower than I hear a lot here, you may want to make sure the probe is in fact installed before the turbo. After the turbo, is not letting you see the temps you need to look out for.

As far as the SCT, you won't necessarily blow up a 6.0 just running the tunes. I run SCT custom tuning and haven't had very much trouble (lost an EGR cooler) but your transmission is what REALLY benefits from the SCT tuning. But if you don't crank up on it, you may be ok.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 AM

I'll check that asap. The guy I bought the truck from seemed pretty knowledgable about it and he has had a few diesels, but he may have screwed up.

Honestly I run the truck trying to get the best possible fuel mileage, not trying to smoke people out and whatnot so I am not really too worried about hurting anything, I had just never heard any feedback on the BD.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's best to have the pyro pre-turbo like you say it is, than you get the temp closest to the engine so you know what the egt temps are, when it's installed after the turbo the temps will read lower.

I would get a sct with custom tunes asap if I were you, the bulky dog is known for hurting Trannys(as far as I've read)

I get the best fuel economy on my highest hp tune, most people get the best mpg when they use the high hp tune.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 AM

If you dont drive like a goof then you should be ok with the BD....I have a buddy who leaves his on Crazy Larry all the time and has had no issues yet....its been a year and a half so far. But he drives like an 80yo man.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:41 AM

10-4. Thanks man. I just purchased an extended warranty through Ford so I am good to go. I'm not worried about blowing anything now because I can take off the BD and get it all fixed under warranty these things were a great invention. But that doesn't mean I'm going to drive like an idiot now lol, I'm just not going to be too worried about putting my foot into it every once in a while anymore.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid326 View Post
10-4. Thanks man. I just purchased an extended warranty through Ford so I am good to go. I'm not worried about blowing anything now because I can take off the BD and get it all fixed under warranty these things were a great invention. But that doesn't mean I'm going to drive like an idiot now lol, I'm just not going to be too worried about putting my foot into it every once in a while anymore.
be very wise of your dealership picking. they can trace all that stuff....and they will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.