Questions - 03 Engine in Late 04.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions - 03 Engine in Late 04..

First off I am a 100% 7.3 guy and I know very little about the 6.0s other than the basics, but I am learning more and more.

I have a late 04 that I bought a while back just because it was cheap. It had LOTS of fuel in the coolant and was pretty ruff running. I was planning on new Black Onyx head gaskets and ARP studs anyways so we decided to pull the heads as I just automaticly thought it had to be injector cups and we would just slap all new ones in. But I guess that was my first mistake as this is not a 7.3 and I made the assumption on my experiance with the 7.3.

After pulling all the cups we did not find any of them that appeared to have any issues. So I started researching and making a few calls and found out that the heads have porosity issues. After finding this out I have called and called trying to find someone in our are that could pressure check these heads and no one around has a clue how to check them out.

So this has left me at the point of having to spend the money for a completely different set of reman heads for around $800.00 as I have not figured out any other gopod option. I have been putting this off for a good while now hoping a better option would come along.

Well I came across a guy that has a 03 model with 120,000 miles (50,000 less than my current engine) on it that he is pulling out to swap a Cummins in. The engine runs excellent with no leaks or issues of of any kind other than it dies when it gets warmed up.

The complete engine with EVERYTHING will cost me $1100.00 by the time I go get it.

My quyestions for you all are the following:

Is this a good and smart option for me to do??

Should I just strip both engines down and use all of my 04 stuff on this 03 engine or is there stuff on the 03 I should use that may be better??

I just need to get an advice that I can as to what route I need to go on this deal. This is going to be my personal truck that I will be driving and hauling with a lot and I want to be sure I am doing eveything the best way possible.

I have a set of 30,000 injectors from a 06 model I am planning to put in also.

I also plan to go ahead and do the EGR Delete, Head Gaskets, Head Studs, New Oil Cooler, Swamps Hot FICM mod, PHP FICM Flash and PHP Gryphon Module.

Any help and suggestions on this would be greatly appriciated as I need to get this thing going ASAP. I have sold my other two trucks and will vehicle less shortly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

03 and late 04 + have diffrent injectors and as far as I know diffrent heads as well. So you'll be limited on parts to swap.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERED SPARKLESS View Post
03 and late 04 + have diffrent injectors and as far as I know diffrent heads as well. So you'll be limited on parts to swap.
This is the sort of stuff I deffiantly need to know because I do not have the knowledge on these.

I have been told the later model injectors will work in the 03 engines??

Are there any weaknesses in the 03 heads I need to be concerned with??

Last edited by 95psdF250; 04-28-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:08 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

As for heads they are strong unless warped just like any other 6.0. I would stay away from a 03 6.0, it seems that they are more of a hit or miss on a good motor than any other 6.0
Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Going from an '04 engine to an '03.....
Go with the '04 engine. You can use the '03 heads, but the dowl pins will most likely be a different size...no big deal if your using studs anyways.
The '04 engine has a different HPO system...the oil rails, rocker boxes, branch tubes...they are all different. (Use the '04 stuff...it is better.)
Injectors will work...no issues at all.
Make sure you put the glow plugs from the engine you are using back into the heads...I can't remember, but I know there is a difference of 1.5mm from the '03 to the newer stuff.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extended Power View Post
Going from an '04 engine to an '03.....
Go with the '04 engine. You can use the '03 heads, but the dowl pins will most likely be a different size...no big deal if your using studs anyways.
The '04 engine has a different HPO system...the oil rails, rocker boxes, branch tubes...they are all different. (Use the '04 stuff...it is better.)
Injectors will work...no issues at all.
Make sure you put the glow plugs from the engine you are using back into the heads...I can't remember, but I know there is a difference of 1.5mm from the '03 to the newer stuff.
So the only difference in the heads are the dowel pin sizes??

Just out of curiosity, why do you recommend the 04 bottom end over the lower milage 03 bottom end??

What about turbos?? I have heard the 03 turbo is a better turbo to go with??
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Lt. Negativity

There is nothing wrong with an 03. Dowel sizes didnt change till 05 , as for the heads you dont need to swap them. You just have to swap rocker boxes and up out, You'll also have to change the branch tube in the back as well if you updated the 03 motor to the 04 parts so you have to pull the back plate off to access the branch tube for the HPOP. If the 03 heads are fine then dont switch them.

The 03 turbo is just louder thats really about it.

Im doing the swap as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
There is nothing wrong with an 03. Dowel sizes didnt change till 05 , as for the heads you dont need to swap them. You just have to swap rocker boxes and up out, You'll also have to change the branch tube in the back as well if you updated the 03 motor to the 04 parts so you have to pull the back plate off to access the branch tube for the HPOP. If the 03 heads are fine then dont switch them.

The 03 turbo is just louder thats really about it.

Im doing the swap as well.
Ok, so you are saying I should go ahead and use the complete 03 engine except for the rocker boxes up?

I know the 03 turbos sound good and I think if performance wise they are the same I will use it as it should really sound good coming out of the 8" Aussies.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Any last inmportant info for me or any should do or should not do suggestions?

I went ahead and paid the guy a little extra for him to drive the 3.5 hours and bring me the engine. He just dropped it off about 30 minutes ago.

We will most likely start on it Monday and I am just looking for any last minute info I may need to know or do??

Thanks for all the help...
Old 05-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wHy not look into a crate motor? You should be able to get good money for those two engines, plus the new motor will have 0 miles and a warranty. Just throwin something different out there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.