What's Next? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's Next?

So, I am going to start putting my truck back together tomorrow, hopefully. I will have added, ARP Head studs, new head gaskets, a new oil cooler, a coolant bypass, an oil bypass, a River City diesel EGR delete, all new gaskets and hoses all around, gave the turbo a good cleaning, and some fresh Amsoil 15w-40. In terms of performance mods, what do you guys recommend. I am looking at these four, but if anyone has anything better, or if I am way off base, please feel free to let me know. I am looking at an upgraded air intake, a set of gauges, an exhaust, and a custom tune. Am I on the right track? Way off base? Input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 05:49 PM

Thats a good start. If you dont have a tuner, SCT is the only way to go. Also i have river city diesels lope tune on mine. Im going to add innovative diesels race tune. heard alot of good things about it. The trans may start to have a problem. My clutch hates me now.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 05charcoal6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-350SW View Post
Also i have river city diesels lope tune on mine.
Not to hijack but with the rcd lope tune is the truck driveable. Some one told me once was that 6.0s arent driveable with a lope tune. I dont know if i was being bs'd or what.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 PM

I havnt had a problem with the rcd tune. The only problem with them is they are SLOW! i called them a week ago for an updated tune and i still havnt got it. It took them 3 weeks to get it to me to start with.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well you could save money and keep the stock intake, they are the best for what ur gonna be doing.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Another 6Slow

i had the RCD lope tune in my truck when i had their 155's and it was drivable but it got annoying after a while sitting at a stop light and the truck wanting to push through the brakes but it sounded pretty BA
Old 04-24-2010, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the input fellas...I had planned on keeping the stock intake whitestroker...I am not going to be making that kind of power, really no need for my idea of practical
Old 05-04-2010, 05:08 PM

So, I have finished everything, all went really smooth, and I wound up with only one extra bolt...and that was the one for the EGR cooler, so I am not going to complain for a crappy mechanic. Required a little help at a few points throughout, but it got put back together. On the other hand, I am having a bit of a problem. I have not driven her yet because there is a woosh, woosh coming from around the turbo and also a slight squeal which I feel is likely the turbo spool. So, I unplugged the VGT solenoid and the slight squeak goes away. On the other hand, there is still a slight shake in the truck, but the internals sound amazing. So, I would suppose I am going to need to replace the VGT solenoid, and I would imagine the slight shake is going to go away as the engine works itself out. So, any suggestions, ideas, thoughts or opinions on the matter? All are appreciated!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc6.0 View Post
So, I have finished everything, all went really smooth, and I wound up with only one extra bolt...and that was the one for the EGR cooler, so I am not going to complain for a crappy mechanic. Required a little help at a few points throughout, but it got put back together. On the other hand, I am having a bit of a problem. I have not driven her yet because there is a woosh, woosh coming from around the turbo and also a slight squeal which I feel is likely the turbo spool. So, I unplugged the VGT solenoid and the slight squeak goes away. On the other hand, there is still a slight shake in the truck, but the internals sound amazing. So, I would suppose I am going to need to replace the VGT solenoid, and I would imagine the slight shake is going to go away as the engine works itself out. So, any suggestions, ideas, thoughts or opinions on the matter? All are appreciated!
The woosh is coming from the new up pipe you installed. Just about everyone reports this noise after installing an EGR delete.

And the squeak, is most likely your turbo. I noticed that my whistle was even louder with the EGR Delete. Mine's an '03, so it screams now! I'm putting a straight pipe on it in a week, and its gonna scare some people
Old 05-05-2010, 02:27 PM

Got the down pipe adjusted and the "odd" noise went away, at least until I plugged in the VGT solenoid and the turbo began to squeal...Any thoughts or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.