Fluids and Misc things I don't know - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fluids and Misc things I don't know

Fellas,
Once again I am in need of info and the collective knowledge here has yet to fail me.

Doing the dfuser coolant filter kit next week, whats the deal with the special stealership coolant? Anything else being run that is better....

Trans filter, should I change the pan filter? 75K on the truck and the fluid has not been changed ( I know I should have done it when I got the truck 10K ago ) W
hat filter is the small one in the front of the truck by the bumper?
What ATF? book says MERCON V so once again the stealership....

How tough is an add a leaf to install?

I am not studed yet should I tow my 5th wheel 15K+ with the tune from Eric or run stock? I am doing about 7K in a month towing this summer

I know I have more questions but a week of 15hr days has cooked my brain... Thanks in advance again for the knowledge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Valvoline's Zerex G-05 is the same spec...you can read the bottle if you don't believe me...also, its my understanding they produce it for MC. Its definately much cheaper though and can be found at places like NAPA.

I wouldn't bother with the internal tranny filter until I had over 100k, but the exterrnal FT-145 I change every 15K. The Torqshift 5 only eats Mercon SP or the newly produced Mercon LV...thats it, nothing else has been guaranteed.

I would not tow with any tune that adds HP....just suck it up and put her in tow/haul mode and enjoy your stops at the refilling stations. You could maybe use a Trans Only tune, but thats it...most of the tuners wouldn't even recommend a mild tune past 8k of towing....best not to chance blowing your tranny.

Go ahead and flush your brake fluid also, you should use nearly three qts if you do it right...that mess needs flushing every two years...most forget it though. Also, flush your Power Steering fluid...you know that it supports your hydra-boosted brake master cylinder, so you want good clean power steering fluid as well. Whens the last time you flushed your coolant? If you don't have a CCV filter or have it re-routed, clean your CAC tubes.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Glad to see you around, Doc. The Gold coolant is the only thing that works and doesn't create cavitation problems.

Coolant bypass filter
It's a GREAT addition to the 6.0L setup to prevent oil cooler and EGR cooler failures. Simple to install and very cheap (as far as PowerStroke parts go)

Tranny Maint
Also (like said above), you should only get Mercon SP or Mercon LV for your tranny. I got mine for about $3/quart when I bought a whole case. You'll only need between 8-10 for a tranny fluid change. At this stage, don't bother with dropping the pan or worry about the in pan filter. Change it at 100k. Also, the little tranny bypass filter, I agree with Moyock to change every 15k.

Towing
Since you tow a fair amount (I do as well), ensure you are consistent with your oil changes at 5k. Since I change so frequently and have noticed NO marked improvement using synthetic oil, I simply run MotorCraft 15w40 from Wal-Mart and change EVERY 5k miles. Also, there are several tuners that have a heavy tow tune for folks like us. It adds (at most) up to 50hp and still keeps the EGT's in check even when pulling a decent grade with a load. I have run Innovative for the past 2 years when towing my 12k lb toy hauler with no issues.

Differential cover
A good number of people have opted to replace their stock rear differential cover with the upgraded aluminum finned differential cover that started in 08. They are less than $50 and can drop your diff temps by as much as 20*. Be sure to replace your diff oil with 75w140 synthetic oil if you do it. Also, it will require longer bolts since the diff cover is thicker. I just went to Lowes with one of the old bolts and got mine. Simple and less than $10.

Add-a-Leaf
I would STRONGLY suggest air bags over an add-a-leaf with the primary reason being that you can deflate your bags when you don't need the extra support. With an add-a-leaf, you can't and it is a much harsher ride. What I would also suggest is to get F350 blocks (4" versus the 2" on the F250), which will give you a bit more height when towing and won't squat your rear. I have just recently opted for the F350 blocks and don't need as much air to maintain a level trailer while towing.

PM me for ANY questions on my setup.

Last edited by Evil Eye; 04-17-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

Just ordered the dfuser coolant kit...

When I service my trans should I drain the torque converter too? I am assuming so

Last edited by Doc8402; 04-17-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc8402 View Post
Just ordered the dfuser coolant kit...

When I service my trans should I drain the torque converter too? I am assuming so
No, there is no drain plug for the torque convertor. The only way to do it would be to have it flushed out and that probably isn't necessary. Drain the pan, replace the bypass filter and add 8-10 qts of Mercon SP or LV.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

alright then well lowers the $$ on the tranny service and frees up some time too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.