California...Mod the 6.0 or wait 2 years and buy a 6.4? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
California...Mod the 6.0 or wait 2 years and buy a 6.4?

I just picked up my 2006 f250 a few months ago for 26,000 with 58,000 miles and a bunch of extras(nice hard top, lift kit, brand new tires / rims, $2000 dollar stereo) and didnt really do research on how moddable these engines are, etc...Now with California smog laws and all I'm wondering instead of sinking $8,000 in mods to get to 500-600 hp if I should wait 2 years and pick up a used 6.4 or go for it with the 6.0.

Currently the truck is stock except for SCT with Matt's SRL tune...I want more already... yeah i know...should have done more research upfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Picture of Truck now in SIG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Lt. Negativity
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stafford
Posts: 1,732
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well being in Cali Id do the Bulletproof EGR upgrade, coolant filtration, for the basic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
Well being in Cali Id do the Bulletproof EGR upgrade, coolant filtration, for the basic.
Thats all a given...basically I've been doing a lot of research and it seems to get to a 6.4l Spartan Tuned 310 truck its gonna take about 10k into the 6.0...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Lt. Negativity
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stafford
Posts: 1,732
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
THe trucks are completely different, same time is running twins, different fuel system set-up, really to much to get into. Buddy of mine ran the 310 its great yes but its taking its toll now on his truck so he has alot to fix. I love my 6.0 with performance I gain mpg didnt really loose any i dont know much about the 6.4 except what I know about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
THe trucks are completely different, same time is running twins, different fuel system set-up, really to much to get into. Buddy of mine ran the 310 its great yes but its taking its toll now on his truck so he has alot to fix. I love my 6.0 with performance I gain mpg didnt really loose any i dont know much about the 6.4 except what I know about them.
All I know is with a DPF delete and spartan tuning (around $2k in mods) it will do what a 10,000 worth of mods to a 6.0 will do.... thinking about just holding out and keeping it just sct'd until I can pick up a good 6.4. I have connections with the local dealer and can get vehicles at $500 over their cost from the auctions...it shouldnt be long after the 6.7's come out that people start dumping their 6.4's for new trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Borger & College Station TX
Posts: 5,174
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's a nice lookin' truck.. I agree that the 6.4l is cheaper $/hp.. But you also have to realize, the 6.4 has 2 egr's (I'm thinkin') you're going to want to delete eventually if you run it with a hot tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
That's a nice lookin' truck.. I agree that the 6.4l is cheaper $/hp.. But you also have to realize, the 6.4 has 2 egr's (I'm thinkin') you're going to want to delete eventually if you run it with a hot tune.
Where did you read this? EGR deletes arent necessary on the 6.4's...especially from what I've read...550+ hp just on tune alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Borger & College Station TX
Posts: 5,174
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I completely disagree that they aren't "necessary" to delete.. They aren't as common to blow as the 6.0s egr cooler. But they still "go". ESPECIALLY if you turn it up any.. How long did those trucks egr's last with 550hp going through the engine??
There's a 6.4l making 800 on tune and NOS alone.. With egr's in place.. You tell me how long that'll last.. lol

Higher hp=higher temps. Higher temps=lessened engine component life..
EGT's are increased, and what runs through the egr's? exaust..
I may not be a smart man, but I know what heat is.... lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
I completely disagree that they aren't "necessary" to delete.. They aren't as common to blow as the 6.0s egr cooler. But they still "go". ESPECIALLY if you turn it up any.. How long did those trucks egr's last with 550hp going through the engine??
There's a 6.4l making 800 on tune and NOS alone.. With egr's in place.. You tell me how long that'll last.. lol

Higher hp=higher temps. Higher temps=lessened engine component life..
EGT's are increased, and what runs through the egr's? exaust..
I may not be a smart man, but I know what heat is.... lol
Have you read any of the 6.4l posts? people have been running the 310 since it came out for their trucks and hardly any problems...Im not saying its the best route just trying to get opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors