starveing for fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
starveing for fuel

I have a 07 with 225 injectors 66/71 turbo and supporting mods and i have the air dog fuel system all my work was done at river city diesel and when i run the truck wide open fuel presure will drop from 60 to 35.... i change the stock ford filters today and that did nothing. ive only had the setup for a month so i never changed the air dog filters. What do u think it could be??? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

river city diesel said i gotta put bigger lines on my transfer tank but i dont see why that would make a difference since the airdo is plumed right into the stock fuel tank
Old 04-13-2010, 05:27 AM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

do you have a regulated fuel system??

I've looked into all that n every place has said you need the ITP regulated return fuel system. it comes w/ a regulator that you can set your fuel presser at, i think......

Also, i was looking into a setup like that...... How much did you drop at RCD?? How do you like the setup so far??
Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalman14 View Post
do you have a regulated fuel system??

I've looked into all that n every place has said you need the ITP regulated return fuel system. it comes w/ a regulator that you can set your fuel presser at, i think......

Also, i was looking into a setup like that...... How much did you drop at RCD?? How do you like the setup so far??
yes i got the return. i spent 20,258 with them. the truck is awsome when it works.... ive had it a month now and the egt gauge went out. they put a faulty tourqe converter in it so i had to get that redone and now this with the fuel. and they keep buging me about my transfer tank and ik thats not it so they are of no help for getting it fixed so idk what to do
Old 04-13-2010, 02:33 PM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
Did you plum into the STOCK pick-up tube? If so that is most likely your problem. The stock pick-up will not keep up with your 225s. I would keep my foot out of it, unless you want to burn up your injectors.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

well river city diesel did it...... you would think they would know where to put it??????? Where would i need to look to see if they did it right???
Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
What you need to find out is if they used the stock pick-up tube or not?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are a few aspects to this.

Are you running the AirDog as a standalone or lift pump?

I haven't seen a stand alone AirDog flow chart (not that I have seen them all) that could flow the required fuel volume at 60 psi to support anything larger than 215's.

Also, the entire system needs to be designed to flow what you need. Larger pick up tube, larger lines to the engine, larger lines on the engine. Your injector choice, is much larger than most, and some companies don’t always know what else needs to be done to accommodate the larger stuff.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1) Find out where and what kind of pickup tube your truck has. If it's the stock pickup it may not be enough to support 225's. Helmann performance makes a nice piece that bolts to the bottom of the fuel tank that has a LARGE port to plumb from.
2) You said you changed the ford FILTERS. If you're still running the OEM pump with an airdog lift pump then that may be the source of your problem. The OEM pump may not be able to provide the volume necessary. Just because you have plenty of pressure doesn't mean you have volume. Typically on most pumps they are rated to pump X gallons of fuel at a specific PSI. The higher the PSI the lower the volume.
3) Your truck does NOT have an injection pump like a tractor. Each injector is it's own individual pump. Your fuel pump supplies each injector with fuel. High pressure oil generates the necessary pressure to fire the injector.
4) It may be true that you need larger fuel lines from the tank to the fuel filter housing under the hood to accomodate your larger injectors.
5) Where is the fuel pressure reading coming from? The following is according to Ford: spec on econoline is 38-66. To test fuel pressure on a econoline its done at the back of the right head.
spec on f body is 45-73 To test fuel pressure on a Superduty it's done at the filter housing.

this is the updated spec and tests are done under load.

If your fuel pressure reading is coming from the return regulator then it may be perfectly acceptable. If it's coming from the fuel filter housing then obviously it's quite a bit low.

Without knowing exactly what they did to your fuel system it's really hard to diagnose your pressure drop. IF you are running an airdog2 stand alone pump then the pump comes with a 2 micron filter and you can remove the secondary fuel filter AND the black stand pipe that it fits on. If you don't remove the stand pipe it will shut off your fuel IIRC.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:36 PM
one day at a time

Sounds like the OP is running one of RCD's advertised power combos. Not sure exactly what their "poor boy" fuel system consists of but I know it uses an AD 150 as a pusher to the stock HCFM. I would assume they put the larger pick up in the tank to feed the Airdog. There should also be a regulated return of some sort under the hood. Don't take this as gospel coming from me, but that's my understanding of it.

My advise to the OP would be to add a Raptor fuel pump to your fuel system. It is also made by pureflow tech, like the airdog. The AD 150 (provided you have the required fuel pickup tube installed) should provide plenty of gallon flow. I just think your stock fuel pump (HFCM) isn't keeping up with demand. If all else is good and done right, I think your stock HFCM is most likely your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.