Fueling issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fueling issues

Here's the story. I bought my truck used 2yrs ago. I have always read when changing fuel filters after putting in the new filters just cycle the key and let the pum run till it stops a couple or 3 times to prime the system. My truck has never done that. I have always had to leave the engine mounted filter empty and the top off. Turn the key on and watch till the housing is almost full of fuel then shut the key off and install the top filter.

I just installed a fuel pressure gauge I notice that when at idle it will show just under 50 psi and when running with very little load a little over 50 psi. When I give it some pedal it will drop back to the low side of 50. I did one run at near WOT and the pressure dropped to about 38 psi so I backed out of it. My fuel filters only had about 3k miles on them but I changed them just to make sure it was not a filter issue. They looked fine but I changed them anyway. I put in the top filter and tried cycling the key and it would never build any pressure. Did it about 5 times to make sure. Take the top filter out, leave top off, turn key on and fill the bowl, put the filter back in and I get back to about 45 psi when I turn the key on.

I'm thinking it is time do do something about the stock pump. I hate like heck to put a stock pump back in so What should I do? A Fass system, Airdog II, fab up my own fuel system with a Raptor pump or something similar? I currently run stock injectors but will probably step up to 155 or 175's in the future with the new Garrett turbo. Depending on the reviews on the new Trusted Performance turbos when they get shipping they are another possibility. I want to keep the truck very streetable and capable of towing 12k-15k loads.

So what would you guys do? I run a Veggiestroke through the back of the heads so no crossover or regulated return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 PM
one day at a time

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Airdog 2 or Airdog and Raptor. The AD2 and the Raptor are both regulated pumps so you can set your pressure. Either setup should fix your diesel fueling woes. I'm not too familiar with how a vegistroke system plumbs in but IIRC it's a totally separate fuel system?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
Airdog 2 or Airdog and Raptor. The AD2 and the Raptor are both regulated pumps so you can set your pressure. Either setup should fix your diesel fueling woes. I'm not too familiar with how a vegistroke system plumbs in but IIRC it's a totally separate fuel system?
Yeah I'm leaning toward the AD2 right now. I know it has an onboard regulator with an internal return. I like the design but IIRC I have seen a few post about the AD2 pumps going bad. That's why I'm seeking opinions.

Yes the Vegistroke is a completely seperate system from tank to engine. The vegi lines connect at the rear of the heads where a crossover line or an ITP type regulated return would be connected. Since I am already using those ports they can't be used for an ITP type RR. That's why the interest in the regulator and internal return in the AD2.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:52 AM
one day at a time

I've heard of a few AD2 pump failures myself. I have heard of a LOT of FASS failures and witnessed several. Not sure what the deal is but the all in one units don't seem to me to be as reliable. I've never had a bit of trouble with my AD 150 pushing my stock pump. I have a reg return though too and it's set at 58psi and it might drop 5psi at WOT briefly before coming back up a bit. If I wind up with larger injectors I plan on adding in a Raptor pump in place of the stocker. I haven't heard of any failures with the Raptor, but in fairness I don't know of a lot of 6.0L guys running them. I know a lot of Dodge guys running them but they're running them at a much lower pressure then we'd need.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Well after looking I realise that the AD2 still needs a high pressure pump. So if I did an AD2 I'd still need to buy a Raptor as well since my stock pump is crap. That's getting into some serious dollars. I think I may have to go with a FASS 150. It's a FASS pump driving my Vegi system too. Yeah I have seen several threads on FASS pump failures but have also seen nothing but great support from them so I guess that's the way I'll go. What do you all think?

Well it appears that the AD2 DF130/75 does replace the stock HPFP with a 130gph and an adjustable pressure from 45-75psi. I think this is the one I am going with. Now to locate a vendor. My Ford dealer gave me a price of $761 and change for a stock replacement.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 04-12-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Nobody has opinions on FASS vs AD2? That's hard to believe. Reasons to choose one over the other? Somebody say somethin' lol.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Just what I've heard from a number of folks concerning reliability of FASS units...
Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 PM
one day at a time

I'd try my luck with the AD2 before I spent money on a FASS, but that's just me. One is not totally proven, and the other (at least IMO) is proven crap on a 6.0L.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Well my stock pump is for crap. I have to keep my foot way out of it or it looses pressure quick. So I decided to bite the bullet.

I ordered an Airdog DF 130/75 system from Kyle at XDP (thanks Kyle) this afternoon. If I'm lucky it'll come in so I can install it over the weekend. I have to pump out my bed mounted 91 gallon tank for my Vegistroke and clean it out as well. It's got some crud in it that keeps clogging the pre-filter in the V3. It's always something.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Better to do it in the driveway than after it takes a crap on you on the side of the road. Sorry to hear about it, but at least you have a new part on your truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.