Machined Heads - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Machined Heads

I am going to pull the heads from my truck tomorrow and they are going to be going to the machinist next week. I am going to have them Magnaflux tested, compression checked, and milled. But, my machinist has also recommended that I would benefit greatly from having the heads ported to match the exhaust manifold as well as the cylinder ports. He claims that this would free up much of the flow within the engine and that I can expect an increase of 15 to 40 horsepower. Can anyone verify this, and is it worth it? It makes good sense seemingly, but is it likely, or better yet, worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Personally I wouldn't bother with porting.

You are smart to have the heads checked rather than just changing the head gaskets and slapping the old heads back on.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to charlesrf600
I dont know about the horse power claim but it is an old trick alot of guys to on gas mills. it just provides a smooth entry to the cylinder so there is no disruption in airflow getting there. could it help sure is in needed with our truck not really unless you are wanting make power from everything you have.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
6.0 heads actually have terrible flow characteristics. Yes you can increase flow by porting but you reall need to port both intake and exhaust. Port matching which is what it appears your machinist is talking about will help some but is short of a real port job. With a real porting you might pick up 30hp. Or you could just add more boost.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 PM

It would be a waste to match them with porting. There are much greater restrictions inside the heads in both the intake and exhaust sides. These smaller passages are there to allow everything to fit where it currently is.

The intake also has several restrictions were the studs and egr are mounted. Another main source of flow problems is the casting flash and texture inside all the parts.

I would save the money and get a good tuner...probably less in time and money spent.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Don't forget that a good rebuild should include a valve angle grind and seals too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.