What can I don for MPG? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What can I don for MPG?

I have a 06 F250, 8" lift with 38's. Have a edge programmer with screen, 4" exhaust and K&N cold air. I am not crazy about the edge programmer, It don't run right the first time I drive the truck that day, Once it gets going it fine but the first drive of the day it don't want to shift and real weak feeling. So I put the stock tune back in and have it there if I need it. I havent hand calculated the mpg but the factory is showing its getting 13 to 14 highway. The problem is I don't drive highway alot. What are some suggestions on bumping the mpg up. Im new to all of this diesel stuff. If I could get the mpg up I would keep the truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 AM
shaking things up

what gears are you running in the diffs? ditch the edge get an sct with custom tunes on it from innovative, elite, ect... also get gauges. boost trans temp adn egt at the min trans and EGT.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Seriously.....you didn't buy a PSD with 8" lift on 38" tires and expect to get good MPGs did you?

If you get 14-15 you're doing good, IMO. Your gauge/MPG is not correct as its not corrected for big tires. You have to adjust. Your adjustment is somewhere in the 15-18% range higher(off the hip here, didn't do math to figure it out for you) than the gauge tells you.

If you're running around town a lot, don't expect much above 12 mpg....its a big, heavy truck, moving it from a stop takes a lot of energy.

if you want to drop another 500+/- bucks get an SCT with some custom tunes and that might help some, but really....if you want better MPG, lower the truck to stock or get a car. I would doubt, despite everyone's praises that you're going to get a lot more MPG out of a tuner- you get more power and a little more MPG...
Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 AM

The biggest thing against you for "good mileage" is your lift and tire size. Looks cool no doubt but kills mileage. consider a lower lift (4" or leveled) and 35's if you want better mileage - or even 33's for even better mileage. Still - these trucks are heavy - good mileage is tough - can be done - but tough.

I run a Banks 6-gun level 4 with 33' tires and leveled and average 16-18 around town and 22 tops on highway empty keeping my highway speed near posted.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea, I knew it wasn't going to get the best mpg when I bought it but I would like to help it out some. And I know not having the programmer on doesn't help but something aint right about it so I decide to leave it off. Truck still has stock gears, does it help to change the gears? I would be happy with 13 or so city mpg, but I know I don't get that. That is why I am asking for some advice.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
I get 11-13 in the city tuned driving the way I do. I have 35" tires and stock gears. I doubt I could do that with that much lift and those tires. If you want to drastically improve your trucks mpgs. Get a bicycle and ride it often. You will spend a lot less on fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.