Another Stud/EGr question for a Newbie - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Stud/EGr question for a Newbie

Hey guys Well i pick up my truck tomorrow. 2006 97k miles.

I'm still covered under ford powertrain till July 3rd or 100k miles, which ever comes first. I just talked to a local PSTD specific dealer and he knows a few Ford techs in the area that will do the swap under warranty if i supply parts and pay the guy somewhere between 700-1000, he wasnt sure without talking to the techs specifically.

So i think i'm going to make that my first mod right out the get go since my warranty will be up soon. So I'm looking for all the parts i should get now. and where to get them for the best prices.

I def. want to do new studs and gaskets, Its had its egr replaced already at 66k miles and it never went back in, so i'm assuming its still good, but if it would save me money having a delete done now, than i'll go that route. But the EGR deletes are EXPENSIVE! i did a EGR delete on my Lightning for 50 bucks, i was shocked to see they go for 400+ but i guess its alot more parts and complex than the lightnings. what are my options? is the DIY kit good, and somewhat easy to put together?

Well i'll stop rambling, just looking for a parts list and the places to get them for the best prices. Thanks all

Last edited by ONE_LO_SVT; 04-07-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

for the delete kit have a look see at www. mkmcustoms for the studs elite diesel they're more $$$ but they use stock head gaskets and they're way stronger . I'm in the same boat myself just waiting on the funds.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Top dollar, I am not sure about the "way stronger" claim due to the fact that prior to you actually lifting the head from the stud, you are more likely pull the threads through the block prior to actually lifting the head. I understand your point, but the difference is not significant when considering what is lost and gained...Welcome to the org.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:10 PM

should i just get a complete kit like this Complete 6.0 Ford Powerstroke Solution and call it a day? or is alot of that unnecessary. And what about these Black Onyx gaskets? are they as good or better than stock, or are stock the better ones to get?

As far as the oil cooler, would the 2006 model have the better ones? cause from my trucks carfax, it never went it for repairs to have a new Oil cooler, just regular oil and filter changes.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sc6.0, That was my first post , just joined the forum for help and knowledge with the rebuild of my truck. i say stronger in that they are rated at a higher psi than the others and . I understand what you mean and i guess i should have been more clear . but still when i buy something i want the best , even if it is more money
Old 04-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

lo svt that website in post 2 i believe they sale a complete kit around 1300$
Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 PM

i saw that but do i really need these?

# ford Factory Oil Cooler Kit
# Ford Factory Intake Gaskets
# Ford Factory Turbo Hardware/Gasket Kit

my truck has never been in the shop for the oil cooler, intake, or turbo? so i assume they are all in good order.

I'd much rather only have to spend 400 for the studs, 300 for the EGR delete, and the 200+ for the headgaskets. But if its really worth it to add a new cooler, intake and turbo gaskets than i guess i should. But what do you guys think?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Bump Bump Bump
Old 04-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the intake gaskets yes and take the time to remove and clean the intake while your in there , oil cooler no , turbo yes you will want to pull it to get into everything anyhow and anything you remove put new gaskets on. also as my own truck is apart now it sucks to do so i will replace or inspect each part , i dont want to do this again but its your truck money and time . this is just my opinion and you know what they say about those .http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/images/smilies/doh.gif
Old 04-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE_LO_SVT View Post
i saw that but do i really need these?

# ford Factory Oil Cooler Kit
# Ford Factory Intake Gaskets
# Ford Factory Turbo Hardware/Gasket Kit

my truck has never been in the shop for the oil cooler, intake, or turbo? so i assume they are all in good order.

I'd much rather only have to spend 400 for the studs, 300 for the EGR delete, and the 200+ for the headgaskets. But if its really worth it to add a new cooler, intake and turbo gaskets than i guess i should. But what do you guys think?

I would go ahead and get the oil cooler kit, intake gaskets, and turbo hardware, just for good measure. It doesn't ever hurt to replace old parts with new ones...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.