Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

$5700 for headstuds, EGR cooler upgrade, oil

6K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  dstryr 
#1 ·
Am i missing something or is this way tooo high? Guy also tells me that he won't just install the headstuds...he wants to pull the heads while he is there and that it is the same amount of labor?

Anyone recommend some good diesel shops around 95037? Central California?

#2 ·
That sounds like the right price definitely! Local shop i know around here charges 5k for headstuds and then they do a bulletproof EGR cooler which is proably what your talking about

anything under 6k is a right amount. Sounds ridicoulous but that is the perks to owning a 6.0

#3 ·
I know a guy down there that might be looking for side work. He lives in Watsonville. Let me shoot him an email and I will get back to you with the particulars if he is interested.

#4 ·
Yeah, I was quoted $4,900, but too rich for my blood. I didn't expect to get it done for $100 but certainly not 5 grand. The quote I got was about $1,000 in parts and $3,900 labor. Hell, to save $4k I might end up doing my own. I change my own fuel and air filters, how much harder can head studs be? :hehe: If you hear back from the guy in watsonville, let me know as well. I'm in sacramento, but I can make the drive.

#6 ·
Most shops charge about 25-2700 bucks for a head stud job EGR delete shouldnt be much more than that since youve got everything out of the way already since you are doin the studs

#7 ·
i just got studs and head gasktes and one new piston and only cost me 3600. damn id say that guy better include a complimentary bottle of vasaline and at least a kiss.

#8 ·
:funnypost: I agree I had it all done for about 4000 and thats with milled heads, new seals for the injectors, radiator flushed, oil change and more.

#9 ·
Yeah 5700 is a little rich for my blood for just preventative mods....for all that I want some power thrown in...haha

I own a CNC shop (6 mills and 1 lathe) and would be willing to trade work for work if anyone around me is looking for some CNC'd parts?

#11 ·
we charge $4300 and that includes studs, gaskets, FCDP Full EGR delete, oil cooler rebuild, new turbo feed and drain tube and its an 05^ we will install a new 1 piece STC fitting at no extra cost and several other misc parts and fluids.

#18 ·
Hey, bring her along, there's plenty of room. :hehe:

But, let's just say someone DID drive to your shop in Michigan, how long would you need their truck? The $4,900 I was quoted included ME supplying the studs. Hell, $1,000 in fuel, $400 for food/hotel. It'd still be cheaper than going with the local guy.

#15 · (Edited)
I got ARP studs, magnafluxed, hot tanked & decked heads, new rods, new ICP, 8- new glowplugs, 1- new injector, new glowplug harness, new Motorcraft headgaskets, Motorcraft o-ring & gasket set (not all gasekets you need come with head gasket set), 4" turbo-back Diamond Eye exhaust with kitty delete pipe - kit & installed, full DIY EGR delete (great writeup here on the forum!! under 6.0 Mod help - printed it out and handed it to my mechanic), new oil cooler, new serpintine fan/accessory belt, flushed coolant lines and nedw coolant, oil change, and both new fuel filters, drilled out and replaced a bunch of broken bolts - 2 in turbo mount, 2- in header, new radiator, new intercooler boots, and a bunch of "other" stuff - granted my mechanic is a good friend of mine and he cust me a heck of a deal - but total cost was around parts and labor $6300.

#16 ·
I got a full FCDP delete, ARP studs, Black Onyx gaskets, radiator flush, oil change, new injector seals, Ford Gold antifreeze for $2400 parts and labor but I know the tech

#20 ·
how much should i expect to pay for labor at a reputable shop if i were to supply all parts, (studs, gaskets, egr delete, etc)?

#23 ·
Okay guys...we got 3 people out here in California that need their truck studded ....haha we can all chip in and fly Mastermechanic and then he can make a nice weekend wage doing all three of our trucks.... Sound like a deal?

I'm in.

#26 ·
Who is BTS and where are they? haha. Im new to the diesel world. I contacted a buddy today and he said he knows someone around me that works on Semi trucks that would want to do it. Trying to get the contact info ASAP.

#28 ·
Arkansas is a long haul from Cali too

#29 ·
Yeah I thought he read the thread and I got all excited to find someone next to me...haha. Gotta keep on searching...

Im down to fly out that guy if he is down though. I got a spare room

#30 ·
Hey man sorry just happened to see this post...Im by Modesto,Ca and I just got my ARP's and Black onyx gaskets done at the dealership in turlock for 1300 bucks and that included getting my heads checked at a machine shop. Although my engine was already out under warranty...

I know of two good shops that will charge WAYYY under that amount you were told if you supply the parts. One is in Riverbank but the one I would go with is in Sacramento....The guy used to work for Ford for like 6 yrs specifically on the 6.0's...then he set sail and opened his own shop...guy knows his $hit...you can call the shop at 916-714-7414 and ask for Dave...good guy to deal with as well.

The one in Riverbank is Show Off Motorsports...have never had anything done by them motor wise yet but check with them on prices...They are pretty bada$$ at lifts and customizing just dont know about working on engines since I havent had anything done by them.

Let us know

#31 ·
I'm in the same boat. I can't see spending 2k+ when I've got studs, gaskets, oil, filters etc. I would be ok with $1800 or less. Any more than that and ill do it. I read once that swamps does them for like 800-1000 if you have the studs but I've never verified that.

#32 ·
3 weeks ago I paid $6000 out the door for the following:

ARP Studs, new headgaskets, new oil cooler, new oil & filter, new fuel filters, new coolant bottle & cap, coolant, EGR cooler delete kit w/up pipe, coolant filter system, head work, factory upgraded turbo drain tube, hpop fitting, and a few odds and ends. Oh...and they even gave me one of thier stickers! lmao

#39 ·
Well I just spent $2300 today on an EGR delete kit, ARP Head Studs and of course labor. If anybody in Washington is looking for a shop to do it for them check out The Power Shop - MORE POWER TO YOU. They do great work at a great price!

#42 ·
I figured an outside shop would be cheaper than the dealer...if the book time is 22 hrs I'lll go over there and get a quote. My mom works at the local dealer and I can get work done for $75 an hour =D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.