Help me get this addiction started!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me get this addiction started!!

Hey guys - I just got a little cash for the b-day, so I though I would use it to pop the proverbial cherry on the truck.

I would like some opinions on what the first thing should be? I got enough to do either the edge insight with probe or the Dieselsite Coolant filter, not both right now. These are just the two I had in mind other ideas are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

EGR Block-off might be your first bet? Are you running tunes yet? Maybe an SCT? How much do you love your head gaskets? I personally have no love for mine and treat em like $#!+.

Derek
Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3YOND View Post
EGR Block-off might be your first bet? Are you running tunes yet? Maybe an SCT? How much do you love your head gaskets? I personally have no love for mine and treat em like $#!+.

Derek
I do want to get an SCT soon, but I think I would like the guages first. As for the EGR block, I am in California where diesels are smoged so I think I will just upgrade that to the bulletproof latter down the line.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 AM

If it were me I would do what makes the truck more reliable right now. Is the truck in good condition... IE no tuner no puking and such? If so I would start with the coolant filter.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
If it were me I would do what makes the truck more reliable right now. Is the truck in good condition... IE no tuner no puking and such? If so I would start with the coolant filter.
Yeah the truck is running good, it's just under 40K and seems like all is well except for a chirping that I can't locate. Dealer said it was breaks and replaced them but the chirping is back now. I haven't been able to dial in what is causing it to chirp.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy06 View Post
Yeah the truck is running good, it's just under 40K and seems like all is well except for a chirping that I can't locate. Dealer said it was breaks and replaced them but the chirping is back now. I haven't been able to dial in what is causing it to chirp.
Let get into a bit more detail so you can understand where I am coming from. It all depends on what your long term goals are for the truck. If you have lots of cash and are looking for a toy that you can beat the hell out of until it quits then skip the filter. The engine will be blown long before you need the coolant changed. But if you want to keep the truck for a long time and get good longevity out of it I would start replacing the known weak links. The monitor will do NOTHING for performance and until you do performance mods there is no need for it. The coolant filter is a great idea/ investment in the truck. The bulletproof EGR cooler and oil cooler rebuild is another. Then you could get the gauges and tuner. Some stock trucks will eat the head gaskets and there are others out there that beat on them and they wont quit. The gasket stud thing will just have to be done whenever the truck decides it wants it or when you have the cash to do it as a preventive mod. JJ
Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Let get into a bit more detail so you can understand where I am coming from. It all depends on what your long term goals are for the truck. If you have lots of cash and are looking for a toy that you can beat the hell out of until it quits then skip the filter. The engine will be blown long before you need the coolant changed. But if you want to keep the truck for a long time and get good longevity out of it I would start replacing the known weak links. The monitor will do NOTHING for performance and until you do performance mods there is no need for it. The coolant filter is a great idea/ investment in the truck. The bulletproof EGR cooler and oil cooler rebuild is another. Then you could get the gauges and tuner. Some stock trucks will eat the head gaskets and there are others out there that beat on them and they wont quit. The gasket stud thing will just have to be done whenever the truck decides it wants it or when you have the cash to do it as a preventive mod. JJ
Thanks for the info. I am looking for longevity. A daily driver with a bit of go power. I looked into the Bulletproof EGR/Oil combo but they are out of the price range at the moment. I am not even sure what it would cost to have someone do it for me. I'm thinking for now that the coolant filter will be the first. Is the dieselsite cooler on the top of the list (or close) for a quality product? The oil cooler rebuild is the kit for about $800 that just upgrades the OE cooler right? Would you recommend the turbo drain?

Last edited by Lucy06; 04-01-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: More info
Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy06 View Post
Thanks for the info. I am looking for longevity. A daily driver with a bit of go power. I looked into the Bulletproof EGR/Oil combo but they are out of the price range at the moment. I am not even sure what it would cost to have someone do it for me. I'm thinking for now that the coolant filter will be the first. Is the dieselsite cooler on the top of the list (or close) for a quality product? BTW are you referring to the complete oil cooler/EGR kit or the kit with the EGR and the OE cooler upgrade?
Yes the dieselsite unit is top notch. JJ
Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Yes the dieselsite unit is top notch. JJ
Great thanks for the info, I think this may be the route I take first. Is this sold at any shops or is it online order only?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 AM

Only place I know of is directly. I would just give them a ring and order over the phone. I'm old fashioned. LOL JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.