Between a rock and a hard place - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Between a rock and a hard place

Hey guys,

I am really stuck here, i am currently talking to a ford esp rep at the moment and his price is 1875.00 for the 4yr/48,000 warrenty. My question is should i get the warrenty or purchase an oil bypass kit along with the sinsiter full egr delete? I would love to have arp studs put in, but low on cash to do that. I plan on keeping this truck for a good while and just want to avoid all the expensive repairs that these trucks can produce. I do run the Banks Six Gun with speedloader, but usually leave it on the 3rd power level 99% of the time. Will doing to egr delete eliminate the possibility of blown head gaskets? or should i just get the warrenty and be worry free for 4yrs and not modify it, or do the parts and see if it will almost bulletproof it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you possibly already voided your warranty by having a tuner on it. it would suck to buy the warranty only to have them void it by your tuner.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:41 PM

My dealer here is a mod friendly dealer and I have had the truck repaired with the tuner installed and they still covered it under warrenty. I am just not sure what to do, install the parts or get the warrenty?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:53 PM

Just my opinion, but I would save the money you would spend on the warranty, and put it towards the egr delete, head gaskets and studs and be done with it. I have not done this with my truck yet, but plan to by summer, it is starting to give me some symptoms that I may need to do all this sooner.

I don't know where you are at, but there is a shop here in Houston that will install the ARP Studs, new headgaskets, rebuild the oil cooler, and delete the egr for $2800.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 PM

That is a good price for all that work tony. I am good friends with the senior diesel tech at the dealer here and he can do the work for me on his own time for around 2k. My worst worry is going out of warrenty and have some unforseen problem occur and not have the warrenty to fall back on. Man, why is everything so hard lol. After doing all the mods, what is my risk of failure vs just getting the warrenty and not touching anything?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:43 PM

It's kind of a crap shoot!! From what everyone on the forum says, as well as many other 6.0 owners I know, EGR Delete, Oil Cooler Rebuild, ARP Studs, headgaskets and an SCT Tuner and the motor is almost bulletproof!! The stock injectors are going to fail over time, they just do, so you may want to consider upgrading the injectors at this time as well. That can add quite a bit to the cost, but should not add too much additional labor if any. Just depends on who is doing the work. I can't advise you on which injectors are the best, as I really dont know, still doing some research on them.

Another common problem with the 6.0 is the FICM, as you have probably already heard, but there is a post on here on the re-solder procedure that several members have done themselves, seems to take care of the problem.

I personally have not done any of the above yet, but like I said, I am planning on it soon. I debated on the extened warranty for a while as well, but got a copy of the contract and read all the fine print and decided for me it just was not worth it. Most of the problems I have had with my truck so far would not have been covered as they are normal wear items. Shocks, Wheel Hub / Bearing, Carrier Bearing, Ball Joint, Brake Caliper, Brake Pads and Rotors.

The way I looked at the Warranty was this. I could spend 2k on the warranty, or for another $800 or $1000, I could make the truck as bulletproof as possible, and do a few mods at the same time!! My decision was also based on the fact that I manage a high performance shop, we dont work on diesels, but I know alot of people in the business, so I get parts pretty cheap, and if I can't do the repair in my shop, I make a few calls and can usually get a pretty good break on labor from another shop, if they even charge me labor at all.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
You're going to end up doing all of those mods anyway. Might as well do it now.

Either way, it's going to break if you don't have the warranty, and it won't if you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.