ARP studs question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ARP studs question

Do you have to remove the heads to install the studs? I was thinking(never good) that you could pull the cover off, pull out the old stock studs, put in the ARP, torque them down and be done? Am i completely off here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

there is a guy on diesel stop that has a thread on this. he has had no issues since doing it but i think he had new gaskets put in by ford right befor he did it.

i am thinking of doing this because i know i have no issues right now so if i do one at a time there should be no problems with the gaskets. i have a rcd egr delete kit to put on so i figure i might as well try this while i am in there. really see no reason why it wont work.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:34 AM

I don't see as why they would need to be removed unless you were replacing the head gaskets too but i don't need to do that so why not just pop the old studs out and new in?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:44 AM

Should be able to. I had mine done - but they did a full HG replacement, decked the heads, ARP, ect.

I'm thinking though - that one bolt to stud at a time should be fine. Diesel Power recently did an article and did the very thing on a Cummins I think.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
DO NOT DO THIS! You're HG's are probably leaking now, you just don't realize it.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:38 PM

i haven't done it yet i was asking if it could be done... explain please?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 PM

Many of the 6.0's we get here in the shop are already experiencing a head gasket failure. we do on occasion get one's in which the owner is being proactive. out of these several 6.0's, only one had head gaskets in which the fire ring material was fully intact on every layer, top and bottom but it also had less than 20k on the clock.

you could, and several people have done stud installs this way without any issue, SO FAR. I have many times loosened one head bolt and heard the MLS head gasket "crackle". this means the gasket seal had been broken. the chances of that not becoming a future issue-leak, are very slim.

In my 27 years as a professional diesel tech, I had never heard of such a procedure until I joined the org. I would not advise doing the job this way.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my 05 excursion has 37000 and was actually shortbllocked due to a flaw in the casting. right now i dont remember the mileage but it was early on when this happened though. since then no issues of any kind. this truck has not been strained at all and according to my insight all readings are good. i figured i might be a good candidate to try this. i am not for sure going to do it just thinking. kind of like the guy that did it said. if problems occur i can then pull the heads and put in new gaskets. will still research this before doing this.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsr View Post
Many of the 6.0's we get here in the shop are already experiencing a head gasket failure. we do on occasion get one's in which the owner is being proactive. out of these several 6.0's, only one had head gaskets in which the fire ring material was fully intact on every layer, top and bottom but it also had less than 20k on the clock.

you could, and several people have done stud installs this way without any issue, SO FAR. I have many times loosened one head bolt and heard the MLS head gasket "crackle". this means the gasket seal had been broken. the chances of that not becoming a future issue-leak, are very slim.

In my 27 years as a professional diesel tech, I had never heard of such a procedure until I joined the org. I would not advise doing the job this way.
agreed. the fixs seems to simple that it could acctually work, but it also seems so simple it would more than likely fail.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how much movement can there be with the head if only one bolt is loosened on a cold motor with no forces acting on it? i have not worked on a 6.0 to that degree but have some experience with other motors and i dont see the movement happening to cause problems with the gaskets. other shadetrees seem to be in agreement. if there is no signs of gasket damage how can you be sure there is before pulling the head? if there is gasket problems would it not rear its ugly head no pun. before doing this.

there are people that have done this so the big question is how many have had problems but what shape was there motor in before doing it. we know of one that has been successful so far.

once agin more research could really save much time and money or get us back to the wait and see if happens to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.