5 Inch question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5 Inch question

Does a 5 inch turbo back system have a 5 inch down tube? If not why even get the 5inch system?
Iím running 4inch turbo back and was curious what the gains pro/con of a 5 inch system is over the 4 inch and any numbers people are seeing in lower EGT and improved performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

never mind i figured it out
Old 03-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
you figured it out, but since others will read this I will let them know. The 5" systems will NOT have a 5" downpipe, it will typically have a 3.5" downpipe and a step up from 3.5-5" and with some brands (magnaflow) you will get a 4" downpipe.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to endothermicbiped Send a message via MSN to endothermicbiped Send a message via Yahoo to endothermicbiped
I've got a question along this same line. If you're not pushing more air with a bigger turbo, etc is there any need to go any bigger than stock on the downpipe? I'd imagine most people (like me) are out for maybe just a little more kick but mainly want everyday economy so they've got some sort of programmer and a different intake, etc. So, would a huge downpipe be necessary? The reason I ask is that mine has a big downpipe (4 1/2" I believe) and now I have a crazy amount of turbo lag. I've got to do something about it so what would be the best size to go with? Go back to stock or just a shade bigger like 4"?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endothermicbiped View Post
I've got a question along this same line. If you're not pushing more air with a bigger turbo, etc is there any need to go any bigger than stock on the downpipe? I'd imagine most people (like me) are out for maybe just a little more kick but mainly want everyday economy so they've got some sort of programmer and a different intake, etc. So, would a huge downpipe be necessary? The reason I ask is that mine has a big downpipe (4 1/2" I believe) and now I have a crazy amount of turbo lag. I've got to do something about it so what would be the best size to go with? Go back to stock or just a shade bigger like 4"?
Huge downpipes are not needed, stock is 3" and most turbo back kits include a 3.5" downpipe and typically its sufficient for everyone, there isn't a need for anything any large, I do feel the 3.5" is better then the stock downpipe and you will see about a 50* EGT drop with that 1/2" larger DP.

Unless you have a custom made downpipe, the largest available is 4" so that's probably what you have. If you are having extreme turbo lag, its not because of the downpipe(or lack of back-pressure) as boost is made from the exhaust gases (pre turbo) not in the down pipe (post turbo) SO with that said, my guess would be that you have an exhaust leak and with you having a 4" downpipe, I would start looking at the EGR up pipe that has the flex section and the Y that connects to the EGR cooler, with the 4" downpipes if they are not positioned perfectly, the down pipe will rub the up pipe bellows and eventually it will rub a hole in it, when this happens you will typically hear it, but if you don't hear it, you can feel in, IE extreme turbo lag.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 AM

I have a Bully Dog 4" Turbo Back....but I had to re-articulate the 4" DP too many times and I was still hitting in five places...the DP itself was barely grazing over the exhaust up-pipe, the 4" clamp was touching the bulkhead, the elbow was 90*...should have probably been 65*...(I might contact Bully Dog to let them know this...hmmm). Anyway...it touched both the trans cooling line, crossmember, and trans fluid fill tube. It was crazy! I really believe this was a killer B...you know...Binding, Bent, or Broke. It was causing such a vibration from the constant contact I believe it resonnated throughout my TB exhaust so much that it mitigated my Turbo failure. Went back to the stock 3" DP for now and where it turns (60*...) it goes back to 4" (sans Cat and stock muffler).
Old 03-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke View Post
I have a Bully Dog 4" Turbo Back....but I had to re-articulate the 4" DP too many times and I was still hitting in five places...the DP itself was barely grazing over the exhaust up-pipe, the 4" clamp was touching the bulkhead, the elbow was 90*...should have probably been 65*...(I might contact Bully Dog to let them know this...hmmm). Anyway...it touched both the trans cooling line, crossmember, and trans fluid fill tube. It was crazy! I really believe this was a killer B...you know...Binding, Bent, or Broke. It was causing such a vibration from the constant contact I believe it resonnated throughout my TB exhaust so much that it mitigated my Turbo failure. Went back to the stock 3" DP for now and where it turns (60*...) it goes back to 4" (sans Cat and stock muffler).
that's probably why bullydog doesn't sell the 4"DP for the 6.0's anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.