2006 F-350 King Ranch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 F-350 King Ranch

I'm new here (Hi). I just bought a 2006 F-350 King Ranch CCLB 4x4. We bought this truck to pull our travel trailer and move up to a fifth wheel soon. I was pulling the TT with a 2002 Escalade. I have been reading alot of info on this site about the various 6.0L problems and since I'm going to be driving this truck to NY with the TT in July I won't to make it as ready as I can for the trip. My questions are, What gauges should I get to keep a better eye on things under the hood? Would a monitor be a better idea than gauges? I dont really need more power I just want to keep an eye on everything. If a monitor is best which ones do you guys use? I was looking at the Banks IQ but that might be alittle over kill for what I need.

I am planning on doing a coolant filter install soon and cleaning the EGR valve. Anything else I should get taken care of? The previous owner was very good about regular maintance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

monitor only, edge insight is good. If runnning stock, that will have you covered for everything. First coast diesel performance is a vendor on here and sells them. Headstuds and an egr delete is a good idea in the longrun. I wouldnt be too concerned about it now. keep an eye on the coolant level!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:00 PM

if you do guages go with tranny temp, boost, and egt. To me a coolant filter seems like a waste of money i would just do a coolant flush. and instead of cleaning the egr i would just delete it with an egr delete. how many miles on the truck?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:49 PM

the truck has 125K and runs great.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 PM

coolant filters will save your oil cooler from being plugged with residual casting sand. Ill cut mine open later this week and post a pic. Had it on for 15K
Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 AM

Change your fuel filters and oil if the dealer hasn't done-so. The 6.0 needs clean oil and doesn't much like extended drain intervals, especially with dino. Also, definetly flush the coolan THEN add a filter. Dirty coolant causes so many problems with these motors. There is a TSB on flushing a contaminated system using several gallons of Simple Green cleaner and 2 qt's of Motorcraft VC-9 iron block cleaner. Refill with distilled water and coolant of your choice, as long as it has the SCA's. Also flush your transmission for sure if it has never been done and replace the inline filter. Hope this has been done in the past 125k.

Keep that coolant clean and SCA's up to spec, keep the fuel filters clean and oil changed. Don't get on it hard until it warms up and maybe think about an EGR delete or upgraded EGR cooler. Do that and you should have most of the problems fixed up.

FWIW my truck is an '05 bone stock with all factory head bolts and EGR system and I havn't had a lick of trouble. I do keep the coolant clean and all fluids and filters clean too though.

If your truck has a stock tune I would put much money into gauges just yet, put the money into the things mentioned above first. The gauges are nice to have but you'll know if you're pushing your truck too hard with a stock tune, it's when you have a performance tune that bad things can happen without thinking they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.