2 trucks 1 tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2 trucks 1 tune

can i use my custom tune on 2 rucks or is it vin locked to 1 truck or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's vin locked. Even if you wanted to use it on another truck the strategy would have to be the same.

EDIT: they aren't vin locked... it's awful early lol.

Last edited by j_cyrus3; 03-03-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

they are the same how is it vin locked i can take it out of 1 and into the other right?? or no the tune is locked for 1 vin
Old 03-03-2010, 05:44 AM

I think part of the problem is when putting a new tune in a truck, the stock tune is stored in the programer, not enough memory in the tuner to store more than one at a time.And most are set to only read a certain number of vin numbers before shutting down I was told,three seems to be most common guess I have heard.This is all what someone else told me that wasnt sure of what he spoke, lol.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am assuming you have an SCT?

It locks to truck A when you load a tune onto it.

If you take it off(return to stock), and put it onto truck B, it locks to truck B. You can do this 5 times, then you have to send the tuner back to SCT for them to unlock it.

The tune was written for a specific strategy. There are several different strategies.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 AM

I didn't think they were VIN locked but just tuned to one truck. That's why they're custom. It MIGHT run on the other one cause the computer it different and other stuff. If it does run it'll be like crap.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

If you have two trucks with the same strategy, get two sct tuners then order a custom tune from your favorite tuner and have it sent via email. You can then put the same tune on boths sct tuners and have both trucks programmed (only have to pay for one custom tune). If the trucks have different strategies, then you are stuck with buying a different set of tunes for each truck. Either way, the SCT tuner can only be put on one truck at a time and as mentioned above with only five unlocks. So you can only switch between trucks a few times before the SCT is bricked and you have to send it in.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
Used to you could potentially share tunes between sct tuners. About 6mos or more they started locking tunes to the sct serial though
Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

If they are emailed to you and not installed when you purchase your programmer, you can use them on any SCT. I don't see how the individual tuners can lock one of their tunes to a specific programmer.
I know that if you order a programmer with custom tunes installed, you cannot retrieve the tunes from the programmer. Get them emailed so you will always have them if your SCT goes bad, is lost, stolen or whatever.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondsman View Post
If they are emailed to you and not installed when you purchase your programmer, you can use them on any SCT. I don't see how the individual tuners can lock one of their tunes to a specific programmer.
I know that if you order a programmer with custom tunes installed, you cannot retrieve the tunes from the programmer. Get them emailed so you will always have them if your SCT goes bad, is lost, stolen or whatever.
Not to sure about this.....when my tuner wrote my tune he needed (as all of them do) the serial number to my SCT. This would tell me that if I used a tune on another sct that it should not work....then again I am not a tuner nor do I work for sct so what do I know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.