EGR Unplugged - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Unplugged

I found some discussions about egr deletes and some of the guys said they just unplugged the egr while the ignition was off. That locks the valve closed. Claims are it will throw a code but no engine light and I can fix the code with my SCT tuner. Any thoughts on this until I can get an EGR delete. Pros and Cons of doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have an 06 and I get 2 codes and a check eng light. This is just untill I do a sneky pipe.

I wish I knew about this when I first got this powerlover, it would have saved some gas money

Im not sure how many posts it takes but start a signiture so we know what you drive
Old 02-23-2010, 06:49 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
i have an 06 and I get 2 codes and a check eng light. This is just untill I do a sneky pipe.

I wish I knew about this when I first got this powerlover, it would have saved some gas money

Im not sure how many posts it takes but start a signiture so we know what you drive
So to unplug do you have engine off keys in your pocket??
And how much mpg did you pick up with it unpluged Might do the same before haulin the camper to bristol nascar races in a few weeks, might pick up a mile or 2 on the gal. Just till spring and I do the egr delete.
JER-1

Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 PM

The egr valve is spring loaded IIRC, just unplug it, it will be closed after that, unless it is coked open with carbon... I would however do this with the key off just to prevent any electrical mishaps
Old 02-23-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JER-1 View Post
So to unplug do you have engine off keys in your pocket??
And how much mpg did you pick up with it unpluged Might do the same before haulin the camper to bristol nascar races in a few weeks, might pick up a mile or 2 on the gal. Just till spring and I do the egr delete.
JER-1

no just unplug it, no trick. The way I get an mpg increase(some years go into limp mode) is by preventing the exhaust from getting recirculated. But just doing this is not giong to solve every thing, the entire system is restrictive to the truck. This is just a "partial" but effective fix.

You should unplug it now. It is simple but it helps for sure, no doubt at all. I never did a test to see if the increase was small or noticeable, but it will be there.

Last edited by smokersteve; 02-23-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the unput guys. I'm going to unplug mine today and see what happens. According to this article, 6.0L Diesel EGR Disconnect Instructions .: Articles, you will notice mild gains at low to mid throttle. I'm pretty sure if it throws a code my sct will clear them. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Well....never mind. Truck is now in the shop due to the infamous head gasket problem. I'm having it studded and doing the egr delete and new oil cooler core. $3800.00 OUCH!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaguy View Post
Well....never mind. Truck is now in the shop due to the infamous head gasket problem. I'm having it studded and doing the egr delete and new oil cooler core. $3800.00 OUCH!
Dang! I'm getting quoted $5500 for Studs, gaskets, new oil cooler, egr cooler delete and coolant filter system.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:44 PM

If you can make it down to eugene, OR sometime got a couple guys from ford that will do everything for $1500 labor you bring your parts....
Old 02-27-2010, 07:08 PM

be careful when you just unplug the egr valve, it can still be blown open under hard acceleration.... just a heads up on that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.