Xtreeme Street in cold weather? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Xtreeme Street in cold weather?

Is it ok to run my Xtreeme steet in cold weather? Does anyone make a cold weather tune?

I am moving to ND in a few months, so Im wanting to make sure my truck is good to go before I head up there.

Also, Im not liking the way my Xtreeme street has been shifting lately. I am not racing on the streets, but do like to pass a car every now and then. I would like something a little less firm, but still have the same power. I heard good things about this new guy Matts tunes! Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by raisemhigh; 02-23-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 03:16 AM
back in the saddle

I think you're referring to "Matt's" tunes... He's been getting a lot of attention lately. His shop is called Gearhead Automotive Performance.

You will be just fine running Xstreet in cold weather, but I will warn you your cold starts could be a little rough until warmed up and I guarantee you cold starts will be smokey and smell of raw diesel fuel. It's just the nature of the beast with a race file. I live in Iowa and when the weather turns cold I generally switch to a tow file for the winter just for that reason. I also don't feel like the extra power is really needed when the roads tend to be snowy/icy and slick. Just my personal preference. I have in the past run Xrace/Xstreet during the winter months and it did just fine. Just didn't like smoking out the parking lot at work when I started it after sitting all night.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 AM

fixed...thx

I agree with you...I dont really care to run my Xtreme steet during cold winter months, and usually just take it back to stock. I have Erics tow and steet tune, but I hate the rpms that they shift at, so Ive always just used the xtreme tune.

I like running some sort of file, bc it seems like my truck starts easier when I have a tune loaded, over stock.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
i run Eric's Aggressive tow tune in the winter time. It starts much easier and it has just enough power over stock to not be too aggressive in snow/ice.
One thing i noticed last year running Xtreme Street in cold is that you HAVE to let the trans warm up for quite a bit, otherwise it would slip into gear and sometimes not shift.
In Aggressive tow, i don't have that problem, as long as the trans is over 50*F i can drive it slow and be fine until its warmed up to normal.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 PM

I haven't had any problems running Extreme race this year and my ficm has a moderate reflash.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM
back to business

I have ran Xstreet down to about -10* F. As Kurt said, cold starts are HARD.

I normally run a tow tune during the winter,........ easier cold starts, better shifting with a cold trans, and not as much power on tap to get you into trouble on icy roads. When it gets cold just be sure to plug it in, and be easy with her until everything is up to temp.

As far as Matt's tuning............

If you think Eric's Xstreet is to firm with the shifting, I think you might really enjoy Matt's SLR. It is silky smooth (except when the trans is cold, then it SUCKS big time, that goes away in about 1-2 miles of gentle driving though)

Note: I still like my tunes from Eric (ALOT), but Matt is doing a GREAT job too.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Erics x-race and cold New England mornings = rough starts...
I usually plug mine in (4hrs on timer) and let warm up for 10 minutes, then fine.
5w40 and opti-lube XPD really help.
For some reason cold starts on "tow" tune from Eric realy smokes. really really really smokes ! If I really needed it I would ask for a re-write.
Xtreme street does fine on snow.
Good luck with your move !
Old 02-23-2010, 05:05 PM

ive been running eric's x-street file the past two winters and yea you can notice the cold starts and super smoky start ups. maybe i should go to the street file or something.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 PM

My extreme street starts fine cold. I haven't tried in anything below 10 degrees or so, but down to there no problems.

Quick hijack but how much smoke do you guys see with the extreme street? I get barely any, maybe a small puff every now and then. And i'm running nothing but a straight through muffler. No cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.