Gas mileage tips - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to jwindbigler
Gas mileage tips

Just curious on how to get more MPG out of the 6.0 with 130K on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 02:27 PM

drive like a grandma, coast as much as possible like to all stop signs or lights, drive behind someone on the highway as much as possible also it helps a lot, these things aren't exactly aerodynamic you know lol, use a good fuel supplement, i use the motorcraft one, also a tuner(SCT w/custom tunes) and a 4" TB exhaust helps too as long as you drive as described above you should see a great increase in mpg's
Old 02-22-2010, 02:50 PM

Those plus - consider running an additive that increases lubricity in the fuel. Additives like 2-stroke oil (the blue stuff you pour in gas for mix like for a chainsaw - but MUST be Ashless formula), Diesel Kleen, etc. Also - if you have a 4wd and can leave the front hubs in Auto - do so - keep them unlocked in other words - front axle will have less drag on the drivetrain this way. (I leave mine in Lock position in winter - but drags the fuel down).
Keep the speed down and less hard acceleration. Your biggest mileage loss is starting from a dead stop and speeding. Stick within 5mph of the speed limit. Cruise isnt perfect - you want to downshift as little as possible. (downshifting - auto or manual - revs the engine - thereby - more fuel and less mileage).

If your not using a synthetic oil - consider doing so - and that of a light weight - 5w-40. Most on here have reported mileage gains when they switched to 5w-40.

Get a tuner. I have Banks and love it - other SCT with custom tunes, Bullydog, Superchips. Research them all - and get what works for your budget and a reputable programmer/tuner. These listed are all top shelf. Most on here will recommend SCT with custom tunes.

Note - with custom tunes and a tuned truck - your truck will come alive! It will become a blast to drive! Mileage will DROP significantly if your not careful and have too much fun.

On a serious note - our 6.0 headbolts dont like tuners and the extra pressure and power that our engines put out with the additions. Consider studding your engine before you have major problems. Studding will cost a few thousand but will save 3x that in repair cost down the road if you dont.

For a reference - and this is just me - there is no definite guideline for guaranteed mileage in our trucks - every truck is slightly different even if they were brothers on the assembly line - the truck in my signature - I have now 205,000 miles on her - last fill-up I hand calc'd a 20.09mpg - that was mix of 4wd, 2wd, and alot of highway during the last blizard we had. I was amazed at my mileage - but with all I have - tuner (that alone was done before everything else and my mileage increased 4mpg alone!) I am in the range of 15-22mpg. I doubt anythign else I can do - water/meth, etc is going to increase me much more. Towing tuner only - I was up 2.5mpg from 10 - 12.5.

I've seen as bad as 7-mpg and as good as 22 - all hand calc'd. Lastly - the idiot-computer in our trucks is just a guideline - dont beleive you are getting 27mpg or whatever it says. Hand calc your mileage for a true reading.

Good luck and enjoy your PSD!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
Best way to improve mpgs is to get a bike and ride it often.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:18 PM

A swap to some 10.25" 3.55 gears from an OBS will help. Then get as light of a tire and wheel package as you can fit. IF you have an 04 down you are lucky here because you can get the "small" wheels in 16" and really get the weight down in the wheel tire package.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jwindbigler
So this is what I have gathered so far

Drive her like a grandma

Draft others on the freeway

Get either a reputable programmer or computer tune - Which one would you guys prefer?

Use supplements to your diesel

Run thinner oil 5W-40

Swap to 10.25" 3.55 gears

Run small wheels to keep wheel weight down

How does one figure out what gears that they have in their truck? I know at about 75mph I am at 2200RPM.

Also, I doubt that this thing has had any transmission fluid flushes or rear end flushes done in a while. Recommendations on types of fluids to use in the diff, transfer case and trans? I have heard the redline is really good or royal purple, but those were for gassers and don't know if they apply here.

As far as the head bolts go, where can I get a set? I am going to school for auto tech and can probably do the job myself. Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 AM

Well, your looking for Fuel Mileage not Gas Mileage
Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 AM

My 03 6.0 CC SB with 130k+ will get 18+ consistently and it is completely stock. I run either Diesel Kleen or Lucas and have had no problems. On the interstate I run 73mph which seems to be the sweet spot for my truck.

I don't drive like a grandpa, but I don't hot rod it either. There are times when I have to stand on the loud pedal but it really doesn't seem to effect my mileage that much. But then again I don't do it a lot.

If you are at 2200 rpm's at 75, then you should have 3.73 gears. That is the same as my truck. Also, I always fill to the neck and hand-calculate. That is the only true way to tell what kind of mileage you are getting since diesel foams so much.

Also if you go smaller tires, you will actually loose mileage because it takes more revolutions to get to the same speed you were running before.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 AM

My '05 was getting 12 mpg on it. I added the SCT, exhaust and a CIA and my mileage went to 15 in town and on long trips I can now get on average 17. Not too shabby for some basic bolt ons.

James
RSD
Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Emergency Services

keep it below 2k rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.