Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

fuel pressure?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  pro350hydro 
#1 ·
So I got my fuel pressure gauge and installed it but did not have the sensor hooked up for a while, so the gauge would peg out while driving. I just got the billet cap in the mail and installed it.

My problem is that the gauge only register's 50psi, Is this normal? When I really hammer it down it drops like 2psi.

Did I ruin the gauge by having it pegged out for a while? Or is my fuel pump going out?

Truck runs good and no chip on motor.

any help would be great

#2 ·
I dont know but heres a bump for ya id like to know what pressure they should run aswell

#3 ·
I think they should run 55ish psi. You may have thrown the gauge out of calibration by having it pegged, I had that happen when my EGT gauge went into the negatives due to a wiring problem.

You wont know until you try another gauge on it.

#4 ·
thats kinda funny because I somehow got two gauges shipped in the mail to me. I was planning on selling one but maybe I will try the one that has not been hooked up yet to see if there is a difference. If there is I guess I won't be selling the gauge.

#6 ·
i'll give it a try tonight

#8 ·
How hard is it to install a fuel pressure gauge? What is good and bad as far as pressure readings go?

#9 ·
It's not hard, just tie into the test port on the filter/regulator housing under the hood.

Per FORD, you should have a minimum of 45psi at WOT UNDER LOAD on a stock tuned truck. Most guys see around mid 50's at idle. If you are dropping significant pressure under load you have a problem, plugged filters, weak pump, etc...

#10 ·
tried the different gauge last night, same 50psi.

Under hard load I only see a 2psi drop so around 48psi. Is there something wrong? Or is this a normal operation?

Anyone else out there seeing this number on a none chipped truck?

P.S. - I still have the Autometer Z-series fuel pressure gauge (0-100psi) sitting in the box, brand new only hooked up once last night to check the other gauge. Anyone wanna buy?

#13 ·
tried the different gauge last night, same 50psi.

Under hard load I only see a 2psi drop so around 48psi. Is there something wrong? Or is this a normal operation?
According to FORD, that is fine for fuel pressure. Anything below 45 is bad.

#12 ·
Here is a link to the price I paid

www.elitedieselengineering.com - Z Series

I would be willing to let it go for $200 this includes shipping, I'll even throw in the steering column mount kit for free ($30 dollar value)

Any takers?

#14 ·
thanks, where did you get that info?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.