My New SRL Tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My New SRL Tune

I am a 6.0 (tuning) newbie but here goes my review so far

I owned a 7.3l prior to my 6.0 I have had the 6.0 for almost 2 years because the tranny on the 7.3l let me down.

The 7.3l had
Wicked Wheel
Donaldson Air Filter no air box
Turbo Back MRP 4" exhaust
DP Tuner F5

I installed all of the above so I know the progress of the adders. When I put the tuner on (last adder only after isspro guages!!!) on the highest setting I still had to power brake to get it to spin the tires. It had more power noticeably but nothing like "Holy Crap" I was impressed but not overly impressed. I burned the tranny up (even though the F5 tuned the tranny) hauling a 17,000lb fifth wheel (on the tow setting) while in GA. Fortunately the truck did not leave me stranded just slipped like crazy back to FL (fortunately I was going downhill for 600 miles ) and would rev crazy until the tranny finally hit. I got the truck home cleaned it up and took it to the nearest ford dealer and traded it in (fortunately they did not test drive it, just started it up in the parking lot) for my current tow rig

Now to the point

Last night I finally installed a xcal2 on my 6.0. This vehicle has never seen a tuner in it's life. It was 42* outside so I let the truck idle for about 10 minutes then drove it like a granny for 7 miles. I turned around to head back home (12:30am) and I pulled to a complete stop. Hit the pedal about half way (maybe a bit more) and the truck stayed in one spot and just spun the tires for about 3 seconds then took off SIDEWAYS!!! I could not believe what was happening as this never happened on my tuned 7.3l.

I did a 0-60mph run and this is the results
stock my best 0-60 time was 7.69, srl just giving it the pedal, 0-60 was 6.49 It may get better as I only did it one time and the tires spun way too long.

I drove it today as this is my daily driver.

Today was mostly highway

Going 70mph I hit the pedal a little harder and I saw 90mph within a few quick seconds....it got there quick!!! I did see a small puff of black smoke when I did this.

On the city streets getting on to it a little hard from a stop I would see a large puff of smoke but then it cleared up very quickly. I did notice that once in a while it would shift a little weird but I think it still needs to learn the new trans tune???

The injectors are noticeably louder (ticking) and I now have the turbo studder (fart??) sound from the air filter...I did not have either of these sounds prior to the tune. I know they are both expected and not a worry.

The egts going down the highway at 75mph were around 600* If I got on it hard down the highway I would see 1200-1250* From a dead stop to fast I would see 1350-1400* but only for a second

I will be trying the regular tow tune (tow pig) this weekend when I go after some trees for the yard, should be about 4000lbs so I will talk about it soon. I know it is not much weight but I can at least try out the trans on it. Next month I will be heading back to GA with the 17,000lb trailer and I have a custom tow tune for it, trans, egt turned off and jake brake....no HP.

I put some of this on the thread already going named Gearhead Automotive Tunes but wanted to put it here as most probably are not watching that thread.

I would really like to stress that there are BIG Improvements over how the 7.3l reacts to tunes compared to the 6.0 and I like it!!!! I am really excited about driving the truck again. In the future I will try other tuners tunes but for the moment I have no reason to look!!!!

I know this is long but hopefully you got something from reading it!!!

Last edited by jayman69; 02-17-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 04:13 PM

I cannot wait until I get mine. How long did it take for Matt to write your tune up?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:14 PM

A few hours but I caught him as he was getting out of work
Old 02-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosk0100 View Post
I cannot wait until I get mine. How long did it take for Matt to write your tune up?
i got him during the middle of the day and as soon as he got my paypal payment it took about 15 minutes to get my tune
Old 02-17-2010, 04:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
welcome to the 6oh

the 7.3 is a great workhorse, but without some hybrids and a turbo, they aren't much fun... believe me, thats where I am at now
Old 02-17-2010, 04:52 PM

I too had a 2000 F250 7.3l Sorry (you already know probably) but when I had the 7.3l and watched the forums for it everyone spoke about how they can/will beat a tuned 6.0 I can honestly say that they actually had me fooled as well until I was able to drive this tuned 6.0 THERE IS NO COMPARISON!!!!!!!!! I will probably get a lot of smack for saying this but I now know it to be a fact. At least my old 7.3 to my 6.0

Last edited by jayman69; 02-17-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.