Analog or digital - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Analog or digital

Hey guys.
So I'm tired of having had work done to my engine and not be able to drive it all-out b/c I don't have gauges.. I've been driving like a grandma in the left lane for the last 6 months b/c I don't want to break it due to me not knowing what's going on..
BUT I think I'm going to actually get some gauges/monitoring device finally, and wanted some input as to which yal think is better. Analog or Digi?? or a combo of the two.. And I have no clue as to what digital monitors are good. Edge?
I know that Autometer is pretty much topo-the line for gauges...

Any input/pictures welcome!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have an Edge Evolution and love the fact I can look at almost anything with the push of a button. If you had to install gauges for everything you can monitor on an Edge it would cost you a fortune.
Just my opinion.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhra6002 View Post
I have an Edge Evolution and love the fact I can look at almost anything with the push of a button. If you had to install gauges for everything you can monitor on an Edge it would cost you a fortune.
Just my opinion.
I'd agree with that.. Will it de-fuel or anything like that? My friends d-max will de-fuel when it hits the limits on his parameters he has set in there..
Old 02-15-2010, 04:48 AM

I love the insight. As was stated earlier you couldnt afford to buy enough gauges to monitor everything the insight will, nor have a place to put them all. Some folks will say they are harder to monitor than analog gauges, and they are correct. However, with a bit of getting used to, it just becomes another stop along your dash when you are checking RPM's, speedo, temps, etc. Just takes another second or so.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have an Insight too and am very happy with it.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've seen people rotate their analog guages in the housing, so that when it is in normal range, the needle points straight up. That way with a quick scan of your guages, if the needle is not in the straight up position, it is not in normal range. That way you are not having to "read" all of your guages.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 View Post
I've seen people rotate their analog guages in the housing, so that when it is in normal range, the needle points straight up. That way with a quick scan of your guages, if the needle is not in the straight up position, it is not in normal range. That way you are not having to "read" all of your guages.
I've seen that trick as well a couple of times and it works well. You can pretty much do the same thing with the insight by setting alarm parameters for the PID's you want to monitor. For example, if you want to monitor egt's and set a warning threshold for 1300 degrees, that PID will change colors to whatever color you chose for that particular alarm. That way, you really dont have to scan over the insight; you just watch from the corner of your eye for the warning color (kind of like when your CEL comes on). You'll notice it.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Davey...just noticed you are in Lumberton...I'll have to keep an eye out for your truck.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 AM
back in the saddle

I've used a digital gauge in the past and it worked well for as long as it worked... I like analog gauges for the simple reason that they work. Nothing really electronic to malfunction on a mechanical boost gauge or pyro. I like DiProcol and Isspro gauges personally. Not a fan of the autometers just because the backlighting sucks.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 AM

I'd agree that most of the A-Meters backlighting sucks.. Except for the GS series..
And rotating it is a pretty dang good idea.. The only reason I wouldnt do it. is because it seams like it would look kinda ghetto.. Just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.