New Head Gaskets re-torque? Milled Heads? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Head Gaskets re-torque? Milled Heads?

Ok guys blew a head gasket again, last time i bought some arp studs dealer installed, i know you can re torque them but is it reccommed? also i want to really make sure that the dealership is going to check the head for warping, is there any tests that you guys know about?

i am also think about getting the heads milled but have no idea where to get that done at a machine shop?

Any imput would be great thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBP View Post
Ok guys blew a head gasket again, last time i bought some arp studs dealer installed, i know you can re torque them but is it reccommed? also i want to really make sure that the dealership is going to check the head for warping, is there any tests that you guys know about?

i am also think about getting the heads milled but have no idea where to get that done at a machine shop?

Any imput would be great thanks
The heads can't be milled much at all if any due to the clearances. You can however retorque the studs. Your best bet would be replacing the heads if there is warpage. Just my
Old 02-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Except for all those brand new heads from Ford that are out of spec already... just info I've gotten from Ford certified techs on these boards...

IMO, milling is the only way to ensure flatness. If it's too far out of spec though, you will need a new head. I'd have a new head milled too though.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I talked to a local machine shop here about a few things...these guys know their stuff...first I asked about porting the heads and he sais I'm looking at around a thousand bucks because its just a time consuming task..he also stated that the power gtained isn't going to be noticable from the drivers seat...might show a little extra on paper is about all...

Then asked about the heads and he says he gets the 6.0 heads quite a bit...150 bucks to have them decked...he said he also pressure checks them for cracks and leaks...

He also said that he can deck them but there is so little room to play with because ford doesn't make the head very thick(the part that can be decked) and that I should try to find an aftermarket company that makes them thicker than stock.

Anyways just thought id throw that out there...when I get my studs put in I plan on only doing it once...I'm going to have a reputable diesel company do the work here and deff have the heads checked myself before I put them back on...

Also make sure you have them tighten the studs to ARP's specs...not fords....

Per ARP you don't need to retighten once they have been torqued to spec..
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy209 View Post
I talked to a local machine shop here about a few things...these guys know their stuff...first I asked about porting the heads and he sais I'm looking at around a thousand bucks because its just a time consuming task..he also stated that the power gtained isn't going to be noticable from the drivers seat...might show a little extra on paper is about all...

Then asked about the heads and he says he gets the 6.0 heads quite a bit...150 bucks to have them decked...he said he also pressure checks them for cracks and leaks...

He also said that he can deck them but there is so little room to play with because ford doesn't make the head very thick(the part that can be decked) and that I should try to find an aftermarket company that makes them thicker than stock.

Anyways just thought id throw that out there...when I get my studs put in I plan on only doing it once...I'm going to have a reputable diesel company do the work here and deff have the heads checked myself before I put them back on...

Also make sure you have them tighten the studs to ARP's specs...not fords....

Per ARP you don't need to retighten once they have been torqued to spec..
Porting is more or less useless on these from what I've seen. $150 sounds like a pretty good deal! Sounds like they've got experience with the 6.0 heads too, even better.

Tightening ARP's to fords spec would destroy the studs. A couple of guys did use Ford's method, but left off the final 90* turn, which is the actual stretch step for the stock TTY bolts. There was a huge thread about it on PSN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.