SCT Help!!! Please. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 04:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT Help!!! Please.

I just got an 05 f-350 King Ranch, its got a 6-8" Kelderman air lift and 37X13.50 Toyo Mt's. Stock gears. It currently has an unplugged Banks Six Gun and a Bully Dog Power Pup came with the truck. I am wanting to ditch both and run an SCT XCal 3 or something SCT because I am in love with the idea of tranny tuning. I am always very conscious of the trans. I do not tow, I do not race, I drive daily and like the idea of added power but I will not be smoking the tires or anything like that. Is SCT the right way to go, I heard it makes your trans bulletproof under 500 hp. If so, what is a good tune for me to run with my daily driving, non-towing style. Also, should I get the newest flash done at my dealer before instaling the SCT just to make sure nothing is left over from the Bully Dog Power Pup or banks. thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
YES, get the SCT, its going to be exactly wha tyou want, because they can customize it the way YOU want it. My preference is for Innovatives tunes because that's all I've ever run, and I use the street tune for my DD, good shifting, and plenty of power for the passing the morons on the road

Now about the reflash, I don't know what to tell you on that. I had a reflash done after getting my SCT and now my injectors cycle fr 30 seconds after I shut the truck off, never heard anybody elses doing that . No other differences that I noticed though, so I'd say have it reflashed, but somebody will come along that maybe knows what that reflash does and offer a different suggestion. Enjoy that
Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 AM

Also I forgot to mention I just got the truck, havent driven it much. Only getting 9 mpg's. I understand the low mpgs due to tire size but 9mpgs, that extremely low. Only modes are 5" MBRP stainless exhausts and CAI.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05KeldermanKing View Post
Also I forgot to mention I just got the truck, havent driven it much. Only getting 9 mpg's. I understand the low mpgs due to tire size but 9mpgs, that extremely low. Only modes are 5" MBRP stainless exhausts and CAI.
Somethings probably wrong, plugged EGR maybe, dirty fuel filters, and I'm not sure but that exhaust might do something to mpg's too. Its a little large marge , 4" is all that you will need for what you're planning to o with your truck. I don't have any clue if that will affect fuel consumption though
Old 02-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get an SCT, contact Matt @ GearHead Auto performance and get his Street Race Lite (SRL) tune...don't be frightentend by the "Race"...it is a very safe tune for 6.0L that are not studded. matt66r@aol.com Get the latest flash from ford approx $50-$100 depends on where you go. Just ask for TSB 9-24-03...and ensure they have IDS version release 64.01 or later. This way your new Strategy Code will be VXCF9. 2006psdsd has VXCF7 by what he said about the buzz. An early version of that flash is known as the FICM killer. This new flash has many benefits and features, so I would get it. You may be careful where you buy your fuel iot get the best cetane levels, also try a cetane booster to up your mpgs. Replace the fuel filters (both). Drive under 2000 rpms and keep boost under 10psi will also help. More to follow....
Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 AM

Didn't see any reference toward gauges...if you don't have them...you will want EGT, Tranny temp, ECT and EOT, perhaps Fuel Pressure. Also, get rid of the CAI...don't need it and it puts your turbo at risk...return to stock intake filter...does the best at keeping the intake and turbo clean.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke View Post
Get an SCT, contact Matt @ GearHead Auto performance and get his Street Race Lite (SRL) tune...don't be frightentend by the "Race"...it is a very safe tune for 6.0L that are not studded. matt66r@aol.com Get the latest flash from ford approx $50-$100 depends on where you go. Just ask for TSB 9-24-03...and ensure they have IDS version release 64.01 or later. This way your new Strategy Code will be VXCF9. 2006psdsd has VXCF7 by what he said about the buzz. An early version of that flash is known as the FICM killer. This new flash has many benefits and features, so I would get it. You may be careful where you buy your fuel iot get the best cetane levels, also try a cetane booster to up your mpgs. Replace the fuel filters (both). Drive under 2000 rpms and keep boost under 10psi will also help. More to follow....
I asked my dealer if there was a new reflash that didn't have the buzz, and he told me no. That's funny I told him, cause I haven't heard ANY other 6.0's do what mine does

Do you suggest me getting it reflashed? What do I do with the tunes I have now, will I need to get them completely re-written?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 AM

Thanks for all the input, on my Carfax report is says ecu and pcm reprogrammed in October 2007; is there a more recent flash? Im going to change fuel filters and go to synthic oil as well. Also 5" exhaust isnt too big is it, because the turbo does not rely on backpressure. Is this correct? thanks for all your help, Im happy to be a proud powerstokre guy now.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05KeldermanKing View Post
Thanks for all the input, on my Carfax report is says ecu and pcm reprogrammed in October 2007; is there a more recent flash? Im going to change fuel filters and go to synthic oil as well. Also 5" exhaust isnt too big is it, because the turbo does not rely on backpressure. Is this correct? thanks for all your help, Im happy to be a proud powerstokre guy now.
Latest flash is as discussed earlier in TSB 9-24-03, thats the one you want. It actually cycles the turbo vanes while at idle as opposed to having to wait until you have an opportunity at wot. It also provides a CEL when the EOT/ECT has a dirrefence of great than 15*F...it is also much gentlet on the FICM (some say 1/5th the power demanded previously)...which overheated and caused FICM failures. Good ideal on the Syn oil (forgot to mention that), 5" isn't too big, just unneccesary. There isn't really a backpressure issue, just as there isn't an evaporative emmision issue because the engine is compression ignition and pretty much vacuumless (is that a word), You will lose lower end power due to its size though. Welcome aboard.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 AM

So is this loss of low end power from the 5" exhaust an issue? I mean is it worth buying a whole new exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.