Keepin the 6.0 and buildin it up...Question and suggestions.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Keepin the 6.0 and buildin it up...Question and suggestions....

So after several months of debating the cummins swap.... I finally decided that I am just going to keep what I have in my truck and build it up...

First let me explain what I am shooting for with this build....I am going to keep this truck for a LONGGGGGGGGG time..Please let me know what I need to do and what brand parts are the best for each scenario listed below...

1. FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT ...I want to make this thing as reliable as that damn cummins 5.9 that everyone brags about...What do I need?

2. I am looking to get overall about 450-500 HP out of this thing....Keep these two key points in mind (This is a daily driver,commuter,grocery getter sometimes.....and in the summer I am pulling a 7-8k pound boat around...I occasionally find a nice little mud hole during the winter) so in all I need this thing to be able to tow but I would also like it to be fast because it is a freakin slug right now.

3. Getting some decent fuel mileage as long as Im keeping my foot out of it...say 70-75 mph commuting/towing

Here is what I have so far....

1. A CAI

2. Aftermarket exhaust with no kitty...Not sure what brand it is because it was on there when i bought it...all I know is that it drops down right behing the spare tire so it is out of sight.

Here is what I plan on doing....Please help me with suggestions(parts names etc)

1. Just ordered a 12" Rize lift...It is on the way...

2.Going to put some 22x11 or 22x12" rims on with probably 38-40" toyo mt's

2.5. Either a SCT x3 with gearhead or innovative tunes or a Spartan Phalanx with dashdaq

3. Regear to probably 4.56 due to tire size...this should get me pretty close to stock and just a little more ooomph

3.5. Thinking about throwing GOGO diesel stage 1 EGR delete kit on here...about 1,200 bucks.

4. Just ordered some ARP Studs with black onyx head gaskets....on the way

5. Either a FASS or Airdog 2...do either of these have the regulated fuel return? Which is better for what I am doing?

6. A good Bypass Oil filtration system either FS2500 or maybe an OilGuard since it is way cheaper..

7. A coolant filtration system...

8. Maybe sometime in the future a Non VGT 64mm turbo (considering the new Garrett GT3788VA turbo) and some upgraded injectors when mine take a crap...

9. Eventually a built up tranny if mine goes out but from what I have read these 5R110's can handle 500+ HP with no problems if tuned right...

So that is the plans for now....Please give me your comments and suggestions... Sorry for the long post but I just want to do it right the first time around....

If things need to be adjusted in order to achieve the top three things Im looking for...please let me know that too...

Thanks guys,
Dan

Last edited by armyguy209; 02-03-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Lt. Negativity

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy209 View Post
Here is what I plan on doing....Please help me with suggestions(parts names etc)

1. Just ordered a 12" Rize lift...It is on the way... There goes your mileage you want to keep. Anything bigger then 35's your gonna suffer some.

2.Going to put some 22x11 or 22x12" rims on with probably 38-40" toyo mt's
ok

2.5. Either a SCT x3 with gearhead or innovative tunes or a Spartan Phalanx with dashdaq
Either of them is fine. Advise them what your doing.

3. Regear to probably 4.56 due to tire size...this should get me pretty close to stock and just a little more ooomph
If you decided to do 38's I'd go with 4.30's better all around driving, 4.56 if you plan on towing alot. You'll probably see your fuel drop some with 4.56

3.5. Thinking about throwing GOGO diesel stage 1 EGR delete kit on here...about 1,200 bucks.
Good Kit, but if you dont do ported heads, exhaust manifold its gonna be waste on your part.

4. Just ordered some ARP Studs with black onyx head gaskets....on the way
ok

5. Either a FASS or Airdog 2...do either of these have the regulated fuel return? Which is better for what I am doing?
Airdog2 is a standalone which would remove the stock pump and fuel bowl. You'll need to get a return as well probably ITP.

6. A good Bypass Oil filtration system either FS2500 or maybe an OilGuard since it is way cheaper..
IF your doing a rebuild you might as well rebuild your oil cooler and start fresh there as well.

7. A coolant filtration system...
ok

8. Maybe sometime in the future a Non VGT 64mm turbo (considering the new Garrett GT3788VA turbo) and some upgraded injectors when mine take a crap...
I would stick with the VGT new Garrett turbo if you plan to drive it everyday Ive been down this road.

9. Eventually a built up tranny if mine goes out but from what I have read these 5R110's can handle 500+ HP with no problems if tuned right
They can handle alot but tires, big tune and injectors will take its toll.

To hit your horse power range you'll probably need at least 155 no more then 175cc injectors.

So that is the plans for now....Please give me your comments and suggestions... Sorry for the long post but I just want to do it right the first time around....

If things need to be adjusted in order to achieve the top three things Im looking for...please let me know that too...

Thanks guys,
Dan
Hope that helps a little for you
Old 02-03-2010, 02:49 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
Hope that helps a little for you
Thanks for the reply man....didnt catch it the first time around...lol
Old 02-03-2010, 02:56 AM
back in the saddle

Quote:
Thanks for the reply man....didnt catch it the first time around...lol
He quoted you and put his advise right behind your bullet points. Read it again. He was trying to help and did a pretty good job.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:09 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
He quoted you and put his advise right behind your bullet points. Read it again. He was trying to help and did a pretty good job.
Haha yeah Shu I didnt catch that the first time around....I thought he just quoted me and below said "Hope that helps a little for you" as in good luck its still a 6.0 Maybe I need glasses lol

Anyways what would you recommend for the EGR delete on this thing?...I just read that the GOGO completely reroutes the coolant back into the bottle rather than running through the intake manifold. Any other kits do this?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Lt. Negativity

Quote:
Haha yeah Shu I didnt catch that the first time around....I thought he just quoted me and below said "Hope that helps a little for you" as in good luck its still a 6.0 Maybe I need glasses lol

Anyways what would you recommend for the EGR delete on this thing?...I just read that the GOGO completely reroutes the coolant back into the bottle rather than running through the intake manifold. Any other kits do this?
Yeah its easier typing my advice or anyones in bold to each question lol. good luck you'd be amazed if you knew what im doing to my 6.0 here shortly

Most of the EGR delete kits are good just who you want to go with. Doug's or Adam both I believe are vendors here. Doug's kit I believe is the first to actually remove the coolant off the intake manifold. Its probably out by other people but first that I actually seen and discussed with him about it.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
Yeah its easier typing my advice or anyones in bold to each question lol. good luck you'd be amazed if you knew what im doing to my 6.0 here shortly

Most of the EGR delete kits are good just who you want to go with. Doug's or Adam both I believe are vendors here. Doug's kit I believe is the first to actually remove the coolant off the intake manifold. Its probably out by other people but first that I actually seen and discussed with him about it.
You seem to know a ton about these engines! I am just tagging along to get as much information about this as I can. From the looks of it you have a sick truck as well. Could we see some more pictures? Do you have the Bushwacker cutout fender flares?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:19 AM
lost in space

holy moly...you never mentioned a 12 inch lift before

good job sir, i think you will have only good things to say when you are done with her...

...and if you dont post progress pics, you WILL get banned
Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Lt. Negativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdbrooks View Post
You seem to know a ton about these engines! I am just tagging along to get as much information about this as I can. From the looks of it you have a sick truck as well. Could we see some more pictures? Do you have the Bushwacker cutout fender flares?
I know alot but I wouldmt say I know everything there is to know, but I delt with mine so much alot of work done on my own gotta learn somehow if you didnt go to school for it lol.

I have Bushwacker pocket style flares Im not a fan of the cutouts dont want to be cutting the body. Sick -> She is right now not running to well that will change shortly
Old 02-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Haha yeah I will get some photos of her how she sits right now and post progress along the way as I put more and more stuff on her....Gotta get to work now but Ill try to snap a few before I leave..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.